Industry Exemption

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontlikebeinganeng

Reaction score
For all those who took the chemical PE, did you use industrial exemption in lieu of your references?

I can't find many licensed chemical engineers (1 or 2 max) to sign off for references and I'm currently in a state where it doesn't recognize industrial exemption due to no/limited manufacturing industry.

(I currently work at refinery and only 1 process engineer has a chemical PE.)

nope. My supervisor has his PE and if he didn't there were other managers that do that I could have used.

Ask the state board if they would accept the reference from the other guy.

I only have a possible 2 out of 4 required references in chemical discipline.

I called State Board, they don't have industry exemption in place due to no / limited manufacturing industry. They asked me to write a letter to Board claiming industry exemption, so I'm wondering if anybody has had any similar experience.

Could you go back to any of your professors or places you interned for PE references?

Any customers or peers in other companies that you work with that have their PE licenses that can give you references for the exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had issues finding enough PE's as well. I wrote to several of my former college professors (graduated 15 years prior), and two agreed. I went to one's house to get the form to overnight it to the board. Generally, you don't need the PE to be in your state or dicipline.

I am not a Chemical Engr (I am Civil), but I recently saw in local engineering newsletters that someone I know from a while back passed the Chemical-PE. I am almost 99.9% sure that there are ZERO professional engineers where this individual works. Do Chemical Engr's not have to work under or be supervised by a Professional Engr for the years of qualifying experience needed? I was not even aware that this industrial company even performed Chemical Engr type work, so I was surprised to see that this person took the exam. I guess they know the required information though, because they passed. I know that when I sent in quite a bit of design experience for my exam application, they replied back and even wanted more detail, so I was wondering how the chemical person's work experience passed through in the application if they do not work under a Chemical PE, or if they do not do any, or very little, Chemical Engr work. Let me know what you guys think.

Firstly, the screen name dontlikebeinganeng makes me die a little inside. Secondly, you state you are having trouble finding chemE PE's. I definitely commiserate with that one. I kept asking around and around for months until I found my three, all of whom I had worked with prior. ChemE PE's don't seem to do a great job of advertising themselves! Anyway, do you actually need chemE PE's or just PE's? In my job I work a lot with mechE's (who draw up the stuff to the requirements I have defined). My state did not have the requirement that your references be in discipline. MechE's are more likely to have a PE than chemE's. Just a thought if that helps.

Don't get me wrong. I chose the screen name, dontlikebeinganeng because my experience with industry and college expectation were far different. I really had the bright eyed, high expectation, joyful view of engineering, but with real life I got a little cynical. I haven't left engineering yet but I am currently making the transition.

As for PE, I did need Chemical PEs, which is a pain in the butt. I went to my original state (CA) and opted for a mechanical PE instead since I work with fluids/hydraulics..

So hopefully going to be a double PE (civil + mechanical).

Wonder if I would have been able to help if a similar situation occurred and I was asked. I'm a Chemical Engineer, but I took the exam in Mechanical (as that's where my experience had been based)...so, am I considered ChemE or MechE (or both?)? Hasn't come up before...is it just the test you pass?

depends on the state. In IL you can practice within the area of your knowledge. I took the Chemical test but I work in exvirnonmental so I would be ok to work in either since I am knowledgeable in both.

I am not a Chemical Engr (I am Civil), but I recently saw in local engineering newsletters that someone I know from a while back passed the Chemical-PE. I am almost 99.9% sure that there are ZERO professional engineers where this individual works. Do Chemical Engr's not have to work under or be supervised by a Professional Engr for the years of qualifying experience needed? I was not even aware that this industrial company even performed Chemical Engr type work, so I was surprised to see that this person took the exam. I guess they know the required information though, because they passed. I know that when I sent in quite a bit of design experience for my exam application, they replied back and even wanted more detail, so I was wondering how the chemical person's work experience passed through in the application if they do not work under a Chemical PE, or if they do not do any, or very little, Chemical Engr work. Let me know what you guys think.
Chemical PE applicants have the same application requirements as other disciplines, so I'm sure he had the required experience or the state board would not have approved his application to sit for the exam (or have asked for more detail as they did in your case). Chemical Engineers are competent in many overlapping disciplines such as mechanical, environmental or industrial engineering, so it's possible that his qualifying experience was obtained working in these areas. There probably are PEs at his company, but in industry, since it's typically not required to be visible as it is in civil or structural firms or the public sector, you often wouldn't know without asking or searching for someone's license.

Back