Mass Haul Diagram

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calixico

Reaction score
Lost the solution to these two problem and need to verify my answers. Please let me know your solution for the two problems.

6.pdf

Attachments

• 6.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 417
I thought #7 would be D, as the cut of the soil on the profile diagram (= rising limb on the mass diagram) does not stop, so I am assuming that it continues. Asnwer B assumes that the cutting of the soil stop, thus abruptly returning to the balance line on the masss diagram. What do you think,

Problem #6 answer s ©. D is balance earthwork operation since the net cut is zero between the balance point.

Any other takers, I cannot verify my anaswers as I lost the solution, but curious to hear what others think.

I am with Calixico on this one. I think #6 = C and #7 = D.

#7 was driving me nuts because I looked only at the problem and not the answer choices. I kept thinking "well, the general shape could be B or E but, without exact numbers, it's too hard to pick one." I spent some time deciding between B or E - only to give up and see that the answer is "B or E". Arrrgghh.

#6, I believe the only answer that is correct is C (figure D is balanced).

ngnrd - PE said:
A negative value at the end of the curve indicates that borrow will be required to compete the fill.

A positive value at the end of the curve indicates that a waste haul will be necessary.

So, for question #6: Diagrams A and B indicate that the operation will need to include a borrow haul (there is a material deficit). Diagram C indicates that there will need to be a waste haul (there is excess material on the project). Diagram D indicates a balanced material situation (although it may be more feasible to perform both borrow and waste hauls during construction based on factors not considered in this question). So, the answer should be D (all of the above).

For "general shape" type questions (like #7), just remember that the VALUE of the PGL curve at a given point is directly proportional to the SLOPE of the mass diagram curve at that same point. [ e.g., at the beginning, the value of the PGL is positive, so the slope of the MD must be positive, so you immeadiately eliminate MD C, as it begins with a negative slope] But, this will only provide the general shape of the MD curve, and not values. So in the case of question #7, both diagram B and diagram E have the same shape, which both correctly relate to the PGL.

I now see what you are saying ng. That makes sense, I agree. Thanks. #6 = D.

Back