Traffic Removed from Civil Breadth?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvh4

Reaction score
According to the NCEES PE Civil Test Specifications, traffic problems including highway capacity, etc. are no longer included in the morning exam (only geometric design). The NCEES practice test from 2000, has traffic problems and the latest practice exam does not. This leads me to beleive that recently NCEES has removed the subject from the breadth part of the exam.

However, both the ASCE review class and my colleague's NH based review class still cover it as a topic and dedicate a full 2 hour class to traffic, and the internet is quiet on the subject.

I guess I will attend the review class just in case, but it seems my study time would be better served working on my area of depth.

Anyone else have insight on this?

This is correct. Only horizontal and vertical curve questions are addressed in the morning portion of the exam which also include safe stopping distance along a curve and determining design speeds.

Traffic and capacity topics are only in the transportation depth (afternoon) exam.

You will not see anything out of NCEES Exam Specification for Transportation AM. I hope that helps!

Does anyone know if compound curves or spirals curves on the exam? It doesn't specifically mention that in the syllabus but it seems like some of the non ncees books have problems related to those 2 topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if compound curves or spirals curves on the exam? It doesn't specifically mention that in the syllabus but it seems like some of the non ncees books have problems related to those 2 topics.

kenny, I feel nearly 100% confident that spiral curves are not on the exam. I recommend skipping spirals in your studies. I did.

As for compound curves, while I don't recall seeing any on the exam, it might very well be a valid exam topic. I'd know how to work the basics. Same with reverse curves. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back