Transportation Section in AM Part of Test

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illini86

Reaction score
I've reached the transportation section in my review book and looking at the NCEES test outline papers it has 6 things listed under Transportation. I understand what they're looking for for 1-4 but does anyone have any clarification on what #5 and #6 would represent?? I have a few ideas and they seem to be correct but just wanted to ask the opinion of the board....

1. Horizontal Curves

2. Vertical Curves

3. Sight Distances

4. Superelevations

5. Vertical and/or horizontal clearances

6. Acceleration and deceleration

Also for those who have taken it already, how much of this transportation stuff is really on the test, like is there

-Highway Route Surveying

-Highway Capacity Manual

-Pavement Design

I could see these all being important if I was taking the PM Transportation section, but I'm doing the Structural Version, and just don't want to be wasting my time on stuff that isn't a focal point of the exam...

I keep going through different sets of emotions given there is SIMPLY TOO MUCH INFORMATION to learn regardless of your preparation time for this exam and even if you go over it all, there is no way one could remember it all....

Thanks

You will not need the HCM for the morning portion of the exam. The rule of thumb is that if it's in the CERM, it's fair game for the AM portion. If it's not, don't count on it. Regarding vertical and/or horizontal clearances, this would be things like line of sight or a calculation of vertical clearance under a bridge on a sag curve. This is not special stuff, just subtopics of horizontal and vertical curves themselves. Acceleration and deceleration is your basic physics formulas for velocity, time, distance and acceleration. Again, that is all in the CERM. With respect to your last paragraph, yes, you are correct in that you could study forever and still not learn it all. That is where it comes in handy to tab the heck out of your references, and be able to look up information quickly. You don't pass the test from memorization, you pass by being able to find formulas and "plug and chug".

I agree with Trussguy, the part where you need to be very careful for transpo AM is units and conversions... I suggest you look over NCEES sample AM problems!

thanks for the insight....that's what i kinda figured...i got the CERm 12th edition book now in addition to my kaplan and the NCEES practice tests so i feel good to go. THANKS for comments

I would do most of the vert and horiz. curve questions in the CERM, it has some good questions about clearance and elevations. You should probably bone up on the sight distance and braking questions in the CERM also.

After doing some of those questions it might come in handy to know how quickly you won't stop on dark stormy night when a moose runs out in front of the car ahead of you.

Back