Do I Need Continuing Education Credits if I just got PE license in January 2012?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mevans154

Project Manager
Reaction score
I just received my NJ PE license effective 1/9/2012. The license is valid until 4/30/12.

Do I need to take continuing education credits to renew my PE license in April?

The NJ state regulation is:

The Board’s L. 2009, c. 294 requires professional engineers licensed in New Jersey to complete continuing education. The effective date of the new law is January 12, 2011. Thus, a licensee will be required to acquire continuing professional competency credits effective January 12, 2011. A current licensee shall be required to obtain, on or before April 30, 2012, 15 continuing professional competency credits, two of which shall be in professional practice ethics, on or before April 30, 2012 to meet the requirements for the 2012-2014 biennial renewal period.

Missouri has a regulation for people who have been registered for less than a year to take 1.25 hours x however many full months they are registered prior to their expiration. My current license will expire on 12/31/12, thus I will need 13.75 hours for mine. You might see if the state statutes provide for this kind of "exemption".

South Carolina has exemption for the first renewal i.e first two years, having said that my first license is due for renewal in Jun 12 and exempted from PDH till 2014. I have to start my PDH in 2014.

Ohio also has the exemption, though we just switched from an annual renewal to a biennial renewal. The exemption now covers the first year, so instead of 30 credits in the two year period, I will need 15 credits in the second year. I have yet to determine if I do 15 credits this year if I have fulfilled my CE requirement for the next renewal cycle...it's worded oddly on the Ohio PE board's site.

where was the info on the IDFPR website regarding Illinois' requirements for renewals for folks who just got their license? i didn't see anything.

PDHs are NOT required for your first renewal in IL, but from then on out it is 30 pdhs over a 2 yr period since renewals are in November of odd numbered eyars.

thanks snickerd3. just out of curiosity, would a PE review course, which gives 30 PDHs, count towards the PE renewal (if it were needed)?

I dunno. IL doesn't specifically say what course content must officially contain. It's vague along the line of showing continuing progressive development or some other lingo like that. Getting published in jounrals will get you some pdhs as does teaching or becoming a board member on certain professional groups.

It is self reporting. You must maintain the proof of attendance and provide upon request. The renewal simply is a check box indicating that you took 30 PDHs during the last 2 years

i see. thanks for the clarification.

does regular school work (ie masters in engineering) cover PDH's in general? i would assume so but you never know.

Back