Books needed for PE CivilStructural

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM79

Reaction score
I am planning to give my CivilStructural Exam this October 2012.

I have purchased the CIvil Engineering Reference Manual 12 Edition by Michael Lindenburg.

Which books should i also be having which would help me in the exam prep? Please recommend.

I am thinking of getting the Practice problems for CE 12 Edition by Michael Lindenburg.

Do you think the quick reference for CE 6th edition would be helpful.

please help .

thanks in advance.

I am planning to give my CivilStructural Exam this October 2012.

I have purchased the CIvil Engineering Reference Manual 12 Edition by Michael Lindenburg.

Which books should i also be having which would help me in the exam prep? Please recommend.

I am thinking of getting the Practice problems for CE 12 Edition by Michael Lindenburg.

Do you think the quick reference for CE 6th edition would be helpful.

please help .

thanks in advance.
Make sure you have all of the recommended codes. They often have pertinent information that can be found quickly that you probably wouldn't know off the top of your head.

I also took the Structural Depth Reference Manual, Structural Engineering Reference Manual, Civil Engineering PE (Goswami) and all my materials from PEReview.net. In the exam I did not use any of the practice problems or hand written work that I brought. Unless you have them perfectly organized it would take too much time to thumb through everything to find similar problems. Good Luck.

Buy the NCEES practice problems for your specific exam module. They are by far the most accurate reflection of questions and difficulty of what to expect. The book is only about $50 brand new.

You definitely need plenty of practice problems. The CERM does not have problems in it anymore as they moved the practice problems to a companion manual a few years ago. I would suggest getting that to cover breadth + depth problems. Plus you may want to consider the structural practice problems from Dale Buckner also. I actually did have a few almost identical problems from that book show up on the Structural I exam (this was in '05 granted)... I agree that you need the NCEES sample exam too. The NCEES sample exam will give you the feel of exam day and type of questions you need to cover.

Also, some codes you cannot do without - AISC 13th in particular is one that requires the tables, etc to answer questions. Some of the reference manuals cover the other codes fairly well, but you need to check that and confirm it. If you have the Codes, it is better to bring it than not. Depending on the type of job you are in, you may not have all of the Codes. I know these books get expensive, but don't pinch pennies now, and then fail b/c you don't have the right materials.

Back