Shall I wait for another 4 or more years after the issuance of EIT certification to apply for PE exam in Pennsylvania?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

Reaction score
Hi every one

I want to apply for the mechanical PE exam on October, 2012 in Pennsylvania because I have passed FE exam on October, 2011.

I just check the ENG Exam Qual's Act 367 and it says the old law (Section 14 of Act 367) is applicable to me if I received degree before June 30, 1994, or began experience before February 19, 1991. My education evaluation has already been completed by NCEES. I graduated from the university in China on July, 1991. I am not sure whether I still need to wait for 4 years after issuance of EIT certification according to Section 14 of Act 367.

Please see the section 14 of Act 367 below:

The Old Law (Section 14 of Act 367)

Received degree before June 30, 1994, or began experience before February 19, 1991.

WITH DEGREE: Must have EIT certificate and 4 years of

progressive experience or teaching experience in an approved

engineering curriculum (under the supervision of a PE or similarly

qualified individual). Refer to Rules & Regulations. Amplified record

must show at least 4 years of qualifying experience.

Thanks a lot

Leon

I got info from PE board of PA state. I cannot take the exam in PA state in October of 2012. I need to have another 4 years experience.

Yeah, its on the website somewhere but I didn't take it in PA because of that reason. The 4 year work exp. starts after you graduate and pass the FE; whichever one is later. I took and pass the exam in NJ since they don't care as long as you have 4 years of exp. Then you have to wait the extra time to lapse to apply for a PA license.

I needed a PE in any state for raise/ promotion reasons. I am not required to sign and seal drawings anyway.

Thanks a lot. knd107. I try to apply the PE exam in other state.

Just be careful if you are a PA resident and need to get licensed in some states. Some states will not issue a reciprocy license if you are not licensed in your state of residence.

I wouldn't see why that would matter as long as you meet that state's requirements. Either way, I don't think there will be a problem with getting your PA PE once you meet all the states requirements. Most forms that I have seen only ask if you are licensed in any other state and doesn't specifically ask for your state of residence.

Could be wrong tho.

Firstly appreciate your reply. I am a Chinese and I will go back to China probably at the end of this year. I need this P.E. license only for me to look for job in USA in the future. I am 42 years old now and I cannot wait for another 4 years to take the PE exam. I just want to be qualified to apply for the PE exam in any state in which there is no requirement for 4 or more progressive years accumulation after issuance of FE certification.

I try to apply for the PE exam in Delaware State now.

Thanks

Leon

I wouldn't see why that would matter as long as you meet that state's requirements. Either way, I don't think there will be a problem with getting your PA PE once you meet all the states requirements. Most forms that I have seen only ask if you are licensed in any other state and doesn't specifically ask for your state of residence.

Could be wrong tho.

I know at West Virginia has a requirement that you can not get a comity license in :wv: unless you are licesned in the state you reside. I know somebody that was licensed in MD, lived in PA, and was not able to get a :wv: license until first obtaing a comity license in PA.

Perhaps Minnesota could work as well. I don't know how far you're willing to travel but if I'm reading the state's regulations correctly, there seems to be a stipulation that FE requirements are waived if you have 20 years of experience along with being over 40 years old.

Some additional things you're going to need to consider-since you received your degree out of the country you're going to need to fill out additional paperwork from NCEES and pay about $400 to have your degree evaluated. Also, you said you're moving back to China, I'm assuming you've worked here for a decent amount of time already? You're going to need some letters of recommendation from other PE's. Also, some states will require you to be a resident before you sit for the exam.

I've tried to make a "quick reference" table on the different state requirements to take the exam here-http://www.peprepme.com/Mechanical-PE-Exam-Requirements-by-State.html Please read each state's most up to date regulations though...they may have updated their rules without me knowing.

Good luck in your search!

Hi,

Illinois lets you take the PE before the 4 years of experience, I know this as I'm currently enrolled to take in this April with 1 year of work and 1 year for my masters degree....I can take it and if I pass, I just have to wait until I get 2 more years of working and then fill out the appropriate paperwork and should have no problems...

Appreciate all of your good idea. I have just send my application to Delaware PE board. I am waiting for the result now.

Thanks again

Leon

Appreciate all of your good idea. I have just send my application to Delaware PE board. I am waiting for the result now.

Thanks again

Leon
I think it should be ok. You passed the FE/EIT WRITTEN exam in Oct, 2011 and you have more than 4 years working experience before nowadays.

Back