CIVIL TRANSPORTATION DEPTH

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVINNY

2-time 10K winner
Reaction score
Here is my breakdown.

Hopefully, the more we can post, the better it will help others know theirs and know how many questions to possibly expect in the future per section.

oct06Diag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my breakdown

Based on DVINNY'S Problem Breakdown

Breadth Trans - 50% - 4/8

Breadth Enviro- 50% - 4/8

Breadth Struct- 38% - 3/8

Breadth Geo - 50% - 4/8

Breadth WR - 50% - 4/8

Total 19/40

Depth Traffic Analysis - 60% - 6/10

Depth Traffic Planning/Const - 71% -5/7

Depth Geometric Design/Traffic Safety - 56% - 5/9

Depth Geo - 33% - 2/6

Depth WR - 25% - 2/8

Total 20/40

So, 39 total correct for a raw percentage of 49%

Funny thing is I thought I did pretty good in the morning and was feeling really questionable about the afternoon. While I did not do well in either. To my surprise I did better in the afternoon.

Hope this helps. I know I need to be shooting for a true 70% on my practice exams this spring to feel comfortable going into the April exam.

If my percentages and your percentages both work out like they do, then I'd say we are correct on the number of problems per section.

Hope this helps others getting their transpo breakdown.

We need breakdowns for all disciplines.

Thanks to both of you for posting your breakdowns. I will trust your number of problems per section when I get my breakdown. I don't feel very confident. I know I did better than last time, but I doubt I did well enough to pass. But I can always hope...and pray... :prayers:

Here is my breakdown.
Hopefully, the more we can post, the better it will help others know theirs and know how many questions to possibly expect in the future per section.

oct06Diag.jpg
It looks like you were really close. I bombed geo in april and bought this book and it helped alot. I got lucky and passed so if you are interested in the book let me know.

P.E. Civil License Review Workbooks

8th.Edition by C.V. Chelapati, Ph.D., P.E., Editor

Thanks for the input traffic, I've heard about Chelapati a few times since yesterday already, looks like I need to look into it for sure.

Thanks for the input traffic, I've heard about Chelapati a few times since yesterday already, looks like I need to look into it for sure.
If you decide you want it, I'll sell it to you cheap say $ 20 ? I'm a traffic guy and hope I don't need any geotech stuff anymore!!!!

Chelapati series is excellent on a number of levels:

1. Organized well

2. Nice summary of salient points/equations/charts/etc.

3. Example problems are well-written and illustrate the points well

If anything, I found the Chelapati Manuals helped me to focus my study efforts and to avoid the tangents that one invariably falls into when trying to prepare for this exam.

Chelapati Rocks !! :+1: '.02'

JR

Did you receive a percentage as well for the 49/80? Is it higher than 61%? I took a prep-class in No VA and the instructor said that 48/80 will pass. I can not believe that 3 geotechnical answers can make that damage! :wait

No, I didn't get a percentage. They just give pass/fail. I got the fail. LOL.

I will also assume that the instructor is dead wrong on 48/80 being a passing grade.

:0fail

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a prep-class in No VA and the instructor said that 48/80 will pass.
The 48/80 = Pass score is a something of an ubran legend. In a previous 'failed' exam, I calculated a raw 53/80 that translated to a 69 = Fail. I posted it at the 'other' forum :"the other board": :die:

There are roots to the the 48/80 score - they just don't hold true today. I know before my State abdicated their authority to NCEES the passing score of 70 was set to a raw score of 48/80 as written in the State Rule. Not many people knew/know this - I unsuccessfully tried to take this issue to administrative hearing when I received the 53/80 fail. My state was still in the process of changing the rules to reflect a 70 or better as reported by NCEES at that time. :true:

I think I could have sucessfully contested the 'Fail' based on administrative law, but then I would be labelled as the engineer who really didn't pass the exam. :eek: I didn't want that stigma, so I dropped the complaint. :hung:

Long story short, the 'grading' process will remain a propietary secret since NCEES has come forward as :BK:

I guess I better watch out ... you never know who is listening :"the other board" mole: :"the other board" mole: :"the other board" mole:

JR

Does anyone know if they curve the exam? Do the same percentage of people pass from each afternoon discipline? Or do more geotechs pass than transportation? How do they make each test equal weight? Boy NCEES really has me confused now. OH by the way where the heck are my test results? I guess i shouldn't complain the longer I don't get the results the longer I put off reading that failure letter.

Did you receive a percentage as well for the 49/80? Is it higher than 61%? I took a prep-class in No VA and the instructor said that 48/80 will pass. I can not believe that 3 geotechnical answers can make that damage! :wait
Back in the caveman days (when I took the PE exam) 48 out of 80 raw score was the passing score - regardless of discipline. However, that was back when you picked 4 problems in the morning and 4 in the afternoon and showed all your work, etc., etc.

That's not the case anymore.

Does anyone know if they curve the exam? Do the same percentage of people pass from each afternoon discipline?  Or do more geotechs pass than transportation?  How do they make each test equal weight?  Boy NCEES really has me confused now.  OH by the way where the heck are my test results?  I guess i shouldn't complain the longer I don't get the results the longer I put off reading that failure letter.
From the FAQs on scoring from NCEES website:

http://www.ncees.org/exams/scoring/

Are the exams graded on a curve? Is there a target pass rate?
No. NCEES scores each exam based on its own merits with no regard for a predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way.
I guess there's no choice but to take them at their word.

However, that was back when you picked 4 problems in the morning and 4 in the afternoon and showed all your work, etc., etc.
I swear that I would much rather take it that way. :true:

I swear that I would much rather take it that way.  :true:
I know there was partial credit given and I totally bullshitted my way through one of the problems. :true:

Called for my score and got a 50 and 48 was needed to pass. Made it by --->| |<--- that much.

I worked out a practice exam that was old and in that format. There were multiple steps to the one problem, but I could always get more than halfway through them.

A guy I work with took the exam in the old format. He said he didn't finish a single problem. He worked as much as he could and then wrote what steps he would take to finish it but said he couldn't because he ran out of time. And he passed!

I prefer the new multiple choice format. It may be more difficult but at least you have an idea how you did on the exam. Not to mention is not depending to anyone's objectivity.

For every technical problem there are so many solution as many engineers! :cig:

I also heard that 48 was the magic number to shoot for. The cut may vary +3 but usually it's around 48. I was in a panic when I saw people get 49's and fail.

Back