Calling All Home Theater Junkies...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight1fox3

Jedi MASTER & Friend of Capt. Solo
Reaction score
As the title indicates, I know there are a few home theater buffs that frequent EB.com so I thought I would ask for some suggestions. Looking to get suggestions for a good sturdy wall-mount for my new Samsung 55" LCD LED TV (approx. weight is 35.7lbs). A few caveats though. I already have one of these in my basement and purchased a wall-mount from monoprice.com. It's a well-built sturdy mount only it is very stiff <insert joke here> and difficult to easily move the TV in and out from the wall. That TV is also an LED version and is fairly thin but is an older model. The TV even flexes some when I have to pull it away from the wall (grasping from the top & bottom). The good thing about that though is I really never have to move that TV away from the wall unless I need to plug/unplug something. So it basically stays put. The TV I am putting upstairs is one of the newest Samsung LCD LED TVs. This thing is even thinner yet (at 1.2") and only has a 0.5" bezel. Not much to grab onto there <insert joke here>. So I'm looking for a wall-mount that is sturdy but at the same time has good articulation that is very smooth <insert joke here>. The best I've found so far based on reviews I've read is manufactured by CheetahMounts. I'm leaning toward that unit but wanted to check here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've bought all of mine from Monoprice. You might check BestBuy, etc. and test them in the store. You will pay an arm and a leg though.

It's always been easiest on my checkbook when I check out the items in-store (ie Best Buy), find the ones I like, then scour the internet for the best prices. I've done this with most of my major purchases (I got a new Calloway golf driver online for $90, when even the brick& mortar "discount" stores were selling it for $200).

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I'll make a run to Best Buy this weekend and see what they have. I agree though, I like to look in the store first and then buy online to save money. Especially for this particular item, most TV mounts I've seen in other stores are ridiculously priced. Upwards of $200 or more. Monoprice and the like are usually more modestly priced around $50-$60 which is what I am looking to spend.

I agree though, I like to look in the store first and then buy online to save money. Especially for this particular item, most TV mounts I've seen in other stores are ridiculously priced. Upwards of $200 or more. Monoprice and the like are usually more modestly priced around $50-$60 which is what I am looking to spend.
Better yet, get the barcode scanner app for your smartphone and find the item cheaper online while still standing in the store. Walk over to the customer support desk, show them the price online, and walk out with the price match.
I'm single handedly putting Lowes and Home Depot out of business this way. My goal is 30 cents on the dollar, but my average is more like 60-70% cost.

Good luck with the HT! I have a DLP projector w/10ft screen & Onkyo 5.1 S/S receiver, but it's in a blank room. For my money, a movie room needs a theme and I'm starting to put together a Star Wars room. Star Wars foosball table is up next.

I don't understand why flat screens are so popular when for less money you can go BIG with a DLP projector.

The reason I don't want a projector is the long term O&M costs of replacing the bulb. Not to mention I don't have a room big enough in my house to get a large throw, nor anywhere to mount it.

Better yet, get the barcode scanner app for your smartphone and find the item cheaper online while still standing in the store. Walk over to the customer support desk, show them the price online, and walk out with the price match.
Good idea. I have yet to get that nice little app.

I don't understand why flat screens are so popular when for less money you can go BIG with a DLP projector.
In my opinion, no projector to date can compete with the picture clarity and definition of a local-dimming LED-backlit LCD. Not to mention the cost to replace the bulb of a DLP projector. Typical life on a DLP bulb is right around 2 years. At approx. $400 per bulb, that equates to the price of a decent LCD LED TV. So I suppose since that is a wash it really comes down to personal preference on picture quality. +1 on the Star Wars theme BTW...

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I don't want a projector is the long term O&M costs of replacing the bulb. Not to mention I don't have a room big enough in my house to get a large throw, nor anywhere to mount it.
+1

But I did just pick up an LG 42" LED TV for $190 on clearance at Best Buy.
Yeah you just can't beat those prices anymore. Nice buy.

I'm also looking at upgrading to something in the 55-60" range and had considered projectors. Unfortunately the house layout just doesn't allow for one to work (large footprint living room with 18" ceilings and a built-in entertainment "nook"). We're probably going to stick with an LED, but not sure if we'll drop the extra $ for 3D capabilities...

Wrong units never hurt anything, right?

mars-rover-spirit.jpg

kind of related, but does anyone use a good fan for cooling a stereo receiver inside of an enterntainment center?

at our new years eve party we had to take the receiver out of the entertainment unit and put a fan on it to keep it working, i guess they are not meant for prolonged hours cranked up for "home use"

kind of related, but does anyone use a good fan for cooling a stereo receiver inside of an enterntainment center?

at our new years eve party we had to take the receiver out of the entertainment unit and put a fan on it to keep it working, i guess they are not meant for prolonged hours cranked up for "home use"
That used to happen in college a lot at house parties. I had this window fan that was meant for "dorm use" so it was small and thin. I had my receiver on the top-most shelf and there was approx. 5-6" in between that and the top of the entertainment center (glass cover) which was enough to fit the fan in. It would never overload when I had that fan on it with the music cranked for 6 hours or more. Another option would be to get a slim PC case fan. I would think a 120mm fan would do the job or maybe two of them side by side. I think you can also get 200mm fans but not sure how readily available they are compared to the 120mm variety. Just need to find a 120-12V power brick or equivalent.

I don't use entertainment centers anymore for that reason. Though I don't have house parties anymore either...LOL. But my electronics rack has glass shelves and is open on the front, back and sides so plenty of airflow. :)

thanks I think i have an old PC fan I can rig up, if not I will check at staples or someplace, the receiver is open in the front with large air slits in the back.. its been a long time since I had a party where the stereo was cranked for more than 4 hours, but it sure kills a good party when the music dies..

its weird that bestbuy and the like dont sell these type fans to go with the surround sound receivers....

thanks I think i have an old PC fan I can rig up, if not I will check at staples or someplace, the receiver is open in the front with large air slits in the back.. its been a long time since I had a party where the stereo was cranked for more than 4 hours, but it sure kills a good party when the music dies..

its weird that bestbuy and the like dont sell these type fans to go with the surround sound receivers....
Figured I would try a search and wouldn't you know it, Amazon does have something. LOL...of course they do. Not a bad price either. Might have to get me one of these. :)

This is why you never throw old computers away. You disassemble them and use the bits and pieces for other fun projects around the house.

Bonus points if you use an old computer power supply to power your news home entertainment center cooling system. :D

I've always had a few blocks of wood in between my components to help promote airflow. Typically I would take a 2x4 and rip it in half and cut it into 10" lengths. They can be painted/stained to match the entertainment center or components so they don't look like they're straight from the t-park.

I hear ya on the bracket, I got a 300+ one from best buy. It works amazing, swivels and tips etc... just so damned expensive. I like Wolverine's bar code app. approach. On the projector note, I've got this setup in our basement. 10ft screen and 1080HD from a PS3, shining on a white wall. It looks amazing, even tho it's not on a screen. My only objection is that it has to be nearly dark to get the full theater effect (especially night time scenes), tho watching with a 60W lamp on in the back of the room isn't too bad. Have had it for three years and it runs probably 10 hrs a week. Haven't had to replace the bulb yet *knocks on wood*. At 10', Marvel vs. Capcom hands out seizures like trick-or-treat candy. It's also a blast to take it out on the patio and play tiger woods10 on the WII, almost like being on a real course. If you have the room, a projector has better value IMO.

Back