You passed, now what?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HP Junkie

Reaction score
Anyone doing anything drastic like quitting their job to start their own firm?

Go on vacation?

Open up one of the good bottles saved for a big celebration?

My friend and I both passed the FE and PE this year back to back on a dark horse chance, both of us out of school for 10+ years. That night after we found out we passed we cracked a bottle of 10 yr old Laphroaig, ate thick juicy rare stakes, smoked Maduros, and told harrowing tales of hours of endless studying and bragging late into the night. We must have been completely obnoxious but those with us soon caught our revelry and joined us in hearty toasts.

The night was through and we still are working in the same positions we started with. All that hard work and no immediate reward is a little frustrating but we both know our work studying for the PE is an investment in our future. We both feel strenghtend in our careers and feel very secure having that PE stamp in our pocket. We are now updating resumes and introducing ourseves to potential employers confidently knowing that we can meet any challenge presented. Update to follow...

I've always felt that I could not really call myself an engineer until I passed the PE. After passing it, I feel more confident and people in general look at you differently. It's funny how a test can change people's perspective. Does passing a test necessarily make you a better engineer? I don't think so. It does reaffirm that one has the basic engineering concepts down. At least that is what this test has done for me. I feel blessed I was able to pass the first time. Promotions and money will come in time. I have finally achieved what I wanted all these years. Now it's time to sit back and relax a bit. Having the PE does provide a sense of security, which I have always wanted.

Gratz okeng. Being out of school for 10 years and being able to pass both tests is pretty amazing. Cheers to all

Last edited by a moderator:
You should relax. I made the mistake of takin classes right after I got my PE last year, and I am beat. Take a year off and enjoy it. You will have plenty of time to stress out when you have to take continuing education classes.

Passing the PE allows me to complete my before 30 bucket list.

• Pass PE - check
  • Run a 5K
  • Buy a 30 year old single malt scotch.

Onto item #2!

Be real careful with stuff like #2 - I started there, and ended up running a marathon! Make sure it can't grow on ya! Now, #3 I love!

1) Figure out how to tell my insomnia that the test is over and it's OK to sleep.

2) Do some fishing.

3) Return the favor and nag my wife to study for her PE exam.

Shortly after getting my PE back in June 2008, I was given an opportunity to be a project manager for the first time. That first project I had as a PM has evolved over the last couple of years to the point that I found myself on the stand in a theft/fraud case as the prosecution's expert witness in the field of civil engineering and construction management. I testified Friday and through yesterday, and found myself answering questions about when and how I got my PE. Because I got it when I did, and because of how this project has evolved, the defense attorney had no real opportunity to challenge my professional conclusions and testimony.

Be real careful with stuff like #2 - I started there, and ended up running a marathon! Make sure it can't grow on ya! Now, #3 I love!

With a second child on the way, Im hoping a marathond won't be in the cards. #3 has been on my list ever since a buddy gave me a small Johnny Walker sampler for my bachelor party 4 years ago. It included JW Blue. I figure if Im going all out for my 30th, I might as well go with the best I can get. 30 year old single malt!

I both passed the FE and PE this year back to back with no college degree and two excellent review courses from the School of PE. I highly recommend them as the best way to efficiently review, and if necessary learn.

I both passed the FE and PE this year back to back with no college degree and two excellent review courses from the School of PE. I highly recommend them as the best way to efficiently review, and if necessary learn.

How do you get a PE license without a college degree???

How do you get a PE license without a college degree???
In Maryland there is an "experience option"; if you have at least 12 years of verifiable engineering experience,along with several personal recommendations from licensed PE's, you are permitted to sit for the PE exam and be licensed. That is the route I took - my BS is actually in Accounting!

Several states allow for experiance options. They all vary for how much you need. Then there are other states that won't take a technology degree, even if you have a masters on top of it. All depends.

^^^ The challenge really comes when you have one of those state-specific exemptions (like experience only or a tech degree), then try to get reciprocity/comity in another state. The typical rule of thumb is that you must meet the requirements of the state in which you are applying, the new state may not care that you are currently licensed somewhere else.

^^^ The challenge really comes when you have one of those state-specific exemptions (like experience only or a tech degree), then try to get reciprocity/comity in another state. The typical rule of thumb is that you must meet the requirements of the state in which you are applying, the new state may not care that you are currently licensed somewhere else.
True - but, if you do 99% federal government work, as we do, all they want is a license from any state. There are several that will do a comity license like this.

May be working on PMP, and facing my PhD (sigh....). Yes, I `m obsessed with the letter P. However, these will not take away my life like the P.E. tried too. :beat: .

My Name, P.E, PMP, PhD.

My kids: Mom, what`s all that P for?

My husband: All the Ps are in her brain.

Me: What in the world are these people talking about?

I like the designation PMP because it makes people do a double-take, "Did he just call himself an engineering pimp?"

Back