FE Experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alora

Reaction score
New to the FE/PE testing world. New to FE in general.

Can anyone describe the FE exam experience in some detail? In particular, as it relates to AE.

I'm sure each location is different. Looking to get a feel for the environment.

Attempting to qualify for the April 2012 FE exam.

I will share my experience with FE first:

1. It's not an easy exam because of the variety of questions you get on the test. Also, you will have lot of material to study.

2. Morning session is the same for everybody. Afternoon session can be general or specific as per your engineering discipline. Also, if you have been away from school for a long time, I would prefer you pick general in the afternoon as well which is what I did. If you pick general in the afternoon session, you might have to study little more compared to the the morning session other than discipline specific which requires lot more studying. If you pick discipline specific in the afternoon, it might be easier for PE exam but I did not think about PE when I was taking FE so I went with general both in the morning and afternoon session.

3. Morning session has 120 questions with 2 minutes for each question and the test is very timely oriented. Also, there are lot of questions which you can solve easily if you know how to use your calculator wisely i.e quadratic equations, matrices, vectors.... This is where you can score maximum in the test because most of the questions are very fundamental. If you ace the morning session, you are in for breeze in the afternoon session.

4. Afternoon session gives you 4 minutes for each question and the questions are little tough and can be tricky. In total there are 60 questions and based on my experience, there were several questions which I had no idea whatsoever but again you do not have to score 100%. Also, since I picked general for afternoon, I did not have much difficulty in understanding most of the questions, Since this is closed book test with only FE reference material provided in the test.

5. Make sure you know the FE reference material in and out. Go through it several times because for FE test, timing is very important and with the number of questions on the test, you dont want to spend too much time searching for information in the FE reference manual.

6. Most important of all, practise all the problems again and again till you have thorough understanding. Especially, if you have been out of school for very long, there are good chances that you might have forgotten lot of stuff which is why practising is the key. In my case, I was very weak at economics which is an important subject both in FE and PE but given the amount of time I spent on this, I can tell, I mastered engineering economics.

Let me know if you need any other information.

I will share my experience with FE first: ...
Thanks! That helps quite a bit.

Is/Are there any other references you think would be helpful?

At this point, I'm probably going to wait until October 2012 to take the FE. I've been reading through the NCEES handbook and it's pretty exhausting.

Then, assuming I pass the FE, I'll take the PE in April 2013.

Thanks again!!

Lindeburg reference manual is pretty good and one of the very few comprehensive manual for FE preparation. I have the manual I used for April 2010 exam.

New to the FE/PE testing world. New to FE in general.

Can anyone describe the FE exam experience in some detail? In particular, as it relates to AE.

I'm sure each location is different. Looking to get a feel for the environment.

Attempting to qualify for the April 2012 FE exam.
If you don't mind my asking, how are you trying to qualify? by experience only, or are you a graduate from an Engineering or similar program?

I've considered going the other direction - I have a PE, I could go to college to get an Architecture degree - but decided it wouldn't be worth it for what I do - it'd be more likely to scare off potential clients than anything else.

In addition to the Lindbergh, which is a must-have, get an NCEES sample exam specific to the afternoon specialty you choose. Over and over you will find testimonials for the NCEES sample exams for both FE and PE as being the most representative questions. I also found the FE videos online at the Texas A&M site very helpful, esp the economics. Good luck!

(null)

Lindeburg reference manual is pretty good and one of the very few comprehensive manual for FE preparation. I have the manual I used for April 2010 exam.
Lindenburg FE review manual was the only book I used for the FE. I studied about 1-2 hours a day for 3 months (excluding weekends). I skimped a bit on the weekdays too, lol.

Note: I took it 4 1/2 years ago. Not sure if the exam has changed much since.

Back