When to add the "PE" to your signature?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyi11771

Startup Manager
Reaction score
After learning that I passed the PE exam yesterday... and telling everyone in my office... someone suggested that I change my signature now to add the PE after my name. I only passed the exam, but have not recieved the license number (NY). What is the protocol??

After learning that I passed the PE exam yesterday... and telling everyone in my office... someone suggested that I change my signature now to add the PE after my name. I only passed the exam, but have not recieved the license number (NY). What is the protocol??
Patience.

I guess you can when you know your licence #. If your name appear on the searcheable roster with PE then you can.

(null)

I'm waiting until I have the license. They take such things very seriously in my state. I don't need to start my professional (licensed) career with an infraction on my permanent record and a fine.

UPDATE: My name is in the online database of licensees as of this morning. I'm a P.E. now! Woo hoo!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say you should wait until you get your official documents from your state.

It is best to wait until you have your license number from your individual state. Then you're good to go.

I updated the signature in my personal email accounts within 20seconds of getting my result. I deleted EIT and inserted PE a bold, font size 12 and made my name font size 8. Then I sent out a mass email wishing everyone a happy holidays..

The following day I hired a Cessna single prop to smoke my name followed by PE in the NYC skyline with PE being 50% larger..

Got some people asking what it stands for and explained I passed my phsyical education test.. :juggle:

I changed my signature within an hour of getting my results.
Care to share your real name and state?
My license # was indicated in my results letter. With it I was able to look up my registration on the Board's website. I was actually registered on the 14th one day before I received the letter.

Francisco Flores, P.E. TX

Last edited by a moderator:
It totally depends on your state. Some states issue the registration along with releasing the results. In others, like Ohio, you have to submit some final paperwork and pay a final registration fee before the license is actually issued. I received by results on the 14th and can offically call myself a P.E. today because Ohio just issued my license number.

^^^ CO issued PE numbers late yesterday afternoon despite exam results being sent out last week. Until yesterday afternoon, you were only a highly qualified test taker...

My license # was indicated in my results letter. With it I was able to look up my registration on the Board's website. I was actually registered on the 14th one day before I received the letter.
That's the difference! Congratulations on your PEness.

thwlruss, Texas is pretty efficient. I was able to look you up on the Texas board website. Good Job!!!

I am still waiting for my Pass/ Fail scores to be released, here in Pennsylvania

Wow. I can't believe people are still waiting to hear their results. I got my results via snail mail seven days ago. Four days ago I sent a check to the state board, and today received my license card in the mail.

Technically cannot change until you have an official PE # in that state. I am in PA and passed in MD so I am goign to have to bite my lip for a coupl eof months. PA reciprocity is paper work, paper work, paper work.

Back