Can your employee or anyone find out how many times you took the exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noiro

Reaction score
Can your employee or anyone find out how many times you took the exam?

Maybe. Depends on what the data privacy laws are in your state. In my state, all applicant information is classfied as confidential, which means even I can't access information about my own application. Once someone is licensed, the state makes name, address, phone number, and license information (issue date, discipline, expiration date) available. I doubt anyone could find out how many times I took the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a couple people who brag that they passed on first try, but my PE is just as good. :)

When I took my PE review course, one of the instructors related a story about how someone once put "Failed the PE exam with a very high score" on their resume.

Bragging about passing on the first attempt seems pretty arrogant to me. I just passed on my first try, but I think if I want to be honest, I should put something like this: "Inexplicably passed the PE exam by lucky guesswork."

:)

I wonder if people ever think to state on their Resume that they passed the PE exam on their frist attempt.
It is great to pass the exam at first try, but I would not put on my resume. What happen my potential future boss and / or interviewer, who passed PE exam at second try or more see my resume? They will think I am some kink of show off and I will not be called. Just PE is more than great! If you got PE, you are a Professional Enginner.

When I took my PE review course, one of the instructors related a story about how someone once put "Failed the PE exam with a very high score" on their resume.

Bragging about passing on the first attempt seems pretty arrogant to me. I just passed on my first try, but I think if I want to be honest, I should put something like this: "Inexplicably passed the PE exam by lucky guesswork."

:)
Gotta love that one!

:dunno: I agree with SparkyJ.

Some people had passed it because of a few lucky guesses. I am not saying that they didn't study, but luck almost always present in trying something new.

I wonder if people ever think to state on their Resume that they passed the PE exam on their frist attempt.
It is great to pass the exam at first try, but I would not put on my resume. What happen my potential future boss and / or interviewer, who passed PE exam at second try or more see my resume? They will think I am some kink of show off and I will not be called. Just PE is more than great! If you got PE, you are a Professional Enginner.
I take pride in the fact that I passed on my 1st attempt. I studied smart and with a lot of personal discipline. I don't think of it as showing off; it's a reflection of my abilitiy to get the job done, on my first attempt.

I know a couple people who brag that they passed on first try, but my PE is just as good. :)
Doesn't matter how many times you took it or how high your score was. A pass is a pass. :)

the annoying part is when people ask which test you took...does it matter? they are all difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be interesting if they released the pass rate for the individual civil modules. I took structural and I think I passed because I aced the morning

the annoying part is when people ask which test you took...does it matter? they are all difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some are definitely "harder" than others... for the average person. Would you agree the ME exam is harder, in general, than the CE exam?

I liked taking the PE so much I took 3 times, I wanted to get 80/80. I passed the third time, so I must have aced it. And it was the hardest of the three trys, so the "cut score" must have been low, so my percentage must have been 110% or more! Can I put that on a resume?

I'd probably be pretty cocky if passed the first time, but I didn't and I was out another $510. Anyway I felt real good after passing.

Well ... I'm an electrical engineer, so guess which exam I took. Hint: it wasn't naval architecture or petroleum.

I take pride in the fact that I passed on my 1st attempt. I studied smart and with a lot of personal discipline. I don't think of it as showing off; it's a reflection of my abilitiy to get the job done, on my first attempt.
I just passed on my first try. I feel no pride whatsoever, as I view the exam as proof that sometimes a blind squirrel actually finds a nut.

I'd probably be pretty cocky if passed the first time, but I didn't and I was out another $510. Anyway I felt real good after passing.
I don't feel cocky at all. I'm mainly just perplexed that I passed. I halfway don't want to put P.E. after my name because then people are going to expect that I know stuff.

I just passed on my first try. I feel no pride whatsoever, as I view the exam as proof that sometimes a blind squirrel actually finds a nut.

I don't feel cocky at all. I'm mainly just perplexed that I passed. I halfway don't want to put P.E. after my name because then people are going to expect that I know stuff.
Considering all the stories of hard work and sacrifice that the members of this board have gone through just to give themselves an opportunity to pass this very important exam, Its hard to imagine myself ever referring to the exam as no big deal.

Back