PE vs. P.E.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how P.E. looks better. I went through my collection of business cards and it seems most people use that. My mentor has had PE on his business card for many years.

My email signature has P.E. but my business cards just have PE

My employer purchases them for all employees and keeps them all in the same format.

Most people I know use PE. I have it as PE on my signature, and I'm sure it'll be that way on my business cards when the new ones come in, as all of ours have it listed without the periods. Going through the business cards I have on my desk at the moment, 6 of them have it listed "PE" (two were from the same company), while 4 have it listed as "P.E.", though three of the four are from the same company. Looking at companies in that stack of 10, there were, of course, 5 companies using PE and 2 companies using P.E. Obviously, a statistically insignificant sample size, but enough to realize that either way is pretty much fine I'd imagine. One thing to note is that among the companies represented, two of them, one from each method of writing PE, are huge engineering firms (HNTB, which uses P.E. and URS, which uses PE, at least in their Ohio offices).

Last edited by a moderator:
NCEES uses P.E. in their newsletter, while the newsletter from my state board uses PE.

My employer uses P.E. on their business cards.

P.E.

I actually had a colleague with the surname Pe.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Gods at the Olympus, NCEES, use P.E. I wonder why the mere mortals should use something different.
Not sure if they are actually gods. They just write/administer an exam that no state is required to use.

The folks at the state boards have the actual power to issue/revoke licenses. I'd say they are closer to god status than the folks at NCEES.

I have used both, but have settled on PE, it's a personal preference...
Justin, that's cool. I'm totally good with PE. But what kills me is the missing comma in between your last name and "PE"! ;)

If/when I get my CA Seismic results and they are positive, I'll go with PE (I hope I am not jinxing myself).

I say "No periods, period". For instance, on the plans I am preparing right now, I am using BCR, EC, TC, FL, FS, CL, IE, etc.,etc. instead of B.C.R., E.C., etc., etc....

If the Gods at the Olympus, NCEES, use P.E. I wonder why the mere mortals should use something different.
Not sure if they are actually gods. They just write/administer an exam that no state is required to use.

The folks at the state boards have the actual power to issue/revoke licenses. I'd say they are closer to god status than the folks at NCEES.
Good point. My line of thought was about all the rules they create and change at will. (calculators, content of the test, etc.) They can change whatever they want whenever they want and no one can do a thing about it.

Justin, that's cool. I'm totally good with PE. But what kills me is the missing comma in between your last name and "PE"! ;)

If/when I get my CA Seismic results and they are positive, I'll go with PE (I hope I am not jinxing myself).

I say "No periods, period". For instance, on the plans I am preparing right now, I am using BCR, EC, TC, FL, FS, CL, IE, etc.,etc. instead of B.C.R., E.C., etc., etc....

Haha, nice, ya, little sketchy, it's like a run on sentence or something...

I tried to give you a "Like this", but they say that I'm past my quota for the day

And regarding your seismic results, I hope to hear some good news soon! Take care...

Back