Record number of attempts for taking the PE Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massengineer

Reaction score
I was just wondering what's the most number of times anyone has heard of someone taking the PE Exam?

When I called NCEES over the summer (after I found out that I failed the April exam), the woman who answered told me that they just voted on a rule that would limit the number of attempts to 7.

I never did find any documentation on this. She was what I would call a "mean little elf" who did not want to help me, so perhaps she lied?

I should add that I had only taken the exam once at the time that we spoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is up to the states to decide the number of attempts. ncees proposes ideas, but the states choose if they will adopt them. the PDH is an excellent example. not all states require them and many states have different numbers of PDHs needed.

I know of one person who has failed 7 times. She is acutally a VP or CEO of a major bridge design firm...

I can see reasons why limiting the amount of attempts would be wise, but I leave that decision to the states. Several states require anything from additional experience up to additional college classes for anyone who has failed 3+ times to reapply.

My former boss has taken it over 12 times (his own words). I doubt he will ever pass though.

Alaska rules are:

You have up to 5 attempts at the exam, or 5 years, (whichever comes first) from the date your application was first approved. You will not need to file another application unless these limits are reached.

It sounds like a person could re-apply. It's not clear how many times you could do so...?

I know a person that has been taken it for over 25 years none stop and finally he passed, Civil

That's cruel...if someone has gone through the torture of this test 7 times...let them continue until they pass!
Ever heard of the saying "even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again"? I am all for limits that require you to *prove* further development before taking the exam again.

I know that our previous City Engineer took it 7 times and one more person, who now is County Engineer took it 6 times.

it doesn't matter how many times you do it (some people never study enough), its what you can do with this license. :p10940623:

Kentucky only allow you 3 attempts regardless of the jurisdiction...for the 4th attempt you need to provide the board evidence of additional knowledge...if you dont pass on 4th attempt you need to resubmit your application again with evidence of additional knowledge for 5th attempt ... And so on

(null)

I had to re-apply and prove additional knowledge gained (I took a prep class) after 3 failures. Passed on #4.

At the end of the day it does not matter how many times you tried. I do not think too much about my two failed attempts letters, but do very clearly remember the day I got my passing notification.

I would be interested in knowing the study routine for the ones that fail more than twice.

2 times failed, self review, using CERM getting focus on the review is a problem, was able to get no more that 200 hours. 3rd time took online course (shool of pe), attended the whole course - passed.

:true: 3 times failed, studied everyday for almost 3 month for about everage 2.5 hours a day 7 days a week. Waiting for result. Felt very good after the test, had only 8 unaswered, but now, i am freaking out, absolutely not sure if I made it, feel down. :hang:

Back