Some races are simply superior to others

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2KBA

True Believer
Reaction score
Like a marathon (26.2 mi) instead of a half marathon. If you are going to go to all the trouble, why not just go all the way.

But a 5k is better than both because you can get it done without spending half your day on it.

I don't know, I think the Daytona 500 is good, but I prefer the Indy 500...

Like a marathon (26.2 mi) instead of a half marathon. If you are going to go to all the trouble, why not just go all the way.
Ha! Yeah, why not go the rest of the way? It's only another 13.1 miles! :p

I prefer my races on a bike.

Living in such a busy areas has killed my cycling opportunities. I am so ready for someplace different. My town is at best, busy enough to make it unenjoyable unless I go at 7 AM on a Saturday. At worst, it's suicidal.

Raisin Bran does that to you? ****, I'd hate to see what would happen if you had a bowl of Fiber One.

I used to work at a place with a guy whose wife didn't let him use the bathroom at home before work, with good reason. About 15 minutes after he got in and sucked down a cup of coffee, he tuck his newspaper under his arm, and stride proudly and purposefully toward the bathroom, like someone walking to a stage to receive a medal. He'd stink up the joint for half an hour. It was like someone cleaned out a chicken coop, poured toxic sludge on it, then let it sit in the heat.

The one-seat bathroom was centrally located in a small office, not out in the hall. I sat fairly close to it and could see him start 'the walk.' I'd jump in ahead of him and hang out for 5-10 minutes and let him wait a while. By the time he started the walk, he was already at critical mass. My coworkers used to love watching him squirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^O little baby jersus, you should be a writer. I envisioned everything you described and just spit laughed.

bump

VT, I found your story! made me laugh all over again.

Actually stumbled on this again, cuase I was looking for a thread to post my race tomorrow morning. I'm running the 5K leprechaun dash with the mrs. and haven't trained but am fairly confident I'll do fine as I'm not out to do any better than 10 min. miles.

Well, first 5k in a few years and I finished in 00:31:18 (10:05.8 min. miles). Not too bad for my first race of the year, and gives me lots of room for improvement. Legs are sore as crap still.

I ran a 15k over the weekend. I was three minutes slower this year then I was in the same race last year but I was still pretty happy with my time since I'd been having some knee issues (runner's knee) and hadn't been able to train much over the past few weeks, whereas this time last year I was in the middle of marathon training so I was in tip-top running form.

I finished in 1:07:22 (7:13 min/mile) but more importantly I didn't have any knee problems after the race. I'm hoping this will be the beginning of being able to get back to my regular training regime.

^ ****!

I've been trying to get under 8:00/mile for medium (4+ mile) runs and am having trouble. I can run one mile in about 6:40, so a 7:00/mile seems like a stretch. But I am starting to dig the minimalist shoes (VIVOBAREFOOT Evos) I've been wearing for the last four months. How many miles a week are you running?

These days I probably run 20-25 miles a week. This time last year I was doing 30-40. I ran two marathons last year and as a result I think my shorter distance race times have suffered a little. The marathon training involved a lot of longer, slower paced runs so my short distance race time recently haven't been as good. Throw in a sore knee (caused by doing cross fit, not from running ironically) and I haven't had a particularly good 2012 for running. Things are looking up though. I ran a half marathon in a disastrous (for me) 1:45 a few weeks ago, so I was really wasn't sure what to expect out of my race this past weekend. I was just hoping to stay under 1:10, so I was really happy that meeting that time never seemed in any doubt while on the course.

Back