Shyline offset and flare tapers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLCIVIL

Reaction score
Not wanting to get specific about any question on the exam of course but in general can someone explain the three different flare taper zones in relationship to the travel lane and the shyline offset?

Thanks

SHY LINE: SHY LINE Definition: The distance from the edge of the traveled way, beyond which a roadside object will not be perceived as hazardous and result in a motorist’s reducing speed or changing vehicle position on the roadway.

-Not wanting to get specific about any question on the exam of course but in general can someone explain the three different flare taper zones in relationship to the travel lane and the shyline offset?

Thanks

-Yes and I found the tables. I just want to know at what distance from the travel way is within the shyline? say at 60mph for example

Hi FLCIVIL, where did you find the tables? I looked in the index for "Flare Rates", the only table I found was table 5.7 is that the one?

How would you answer your own question?

thanks.

Back