Will I be able to be licensed in other states?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asunw

Reaction score
I passed the principles and practice exam in Illinois before I had my required experience in. I passed in Oct 2010 and had my required experience complete in May 2011.

I have heard that other states will not accept my professional engineer license to be transferred to their state because of this. Has anyone else heard this or run into a situation where this was the case?

If so, do you have a list of states that will not allow my license to transfer to their state without retaking the principles and practice exam?

TIA!

Probably will depend on the state. If I remember correctly there are people who did get their license in other states or are in the process of it after taking it early in IL. Kentucky was their home state if memory serves me right.

Last edited by a moderator:
NY accept it.

PS.

How do you know that you have enough 4 years to take the exam? You may have 10 years of engineering experience in FL, and after you passed the PE exam and you want to do reciprocity (not comity...comity is that you have the PE license in some of the states throught the experience not from the written exam) to another state. And other state might saying your experience didn't passed and you need another 2 more years experience. Is that means you take the PE exam early?

I took my PE exam in CA first time when I only have 3 years and 6 months. I finally passed the exam on the third try when I have the experience 4 years and 6 months.

I passed the principles and practice exam in Illinois before I had my required experience in. I passed in Oct 2010 and had my required experience complete in May 2011.

I have heard that other states will not accept my professional engineer license to be transferred to their state because of this. Has anyone else heard this or run into a situation where this was the case?

If so, do you have a list of states that will not allow my license to transfer to their state without retaking the principles and practice exam?

TIA!
I don't think you will have a problem in most states. I looked on the NCEES survey... it is a survey asked to individual licensing boards. That question exactly was asked and here are the responses state by state:

https://apps.ncees.o...&question_id=98

If you want to see all of the questions asked:

https://apps.ncees.o...03&section_id=9

(Your question is #18)

This is something that I was concerned with some time ago. In California only 2 years of experience are required with a bachelor's degree and one year if you have a Master's or PhD. This is substantially less experience required than most other states. At the time, I called the state boards of those that were of my interests and was told it would not be a problem as long as I met their requirements at the time of my application for comity.

Back