TEXAS - RESULTS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dave in tx

Anyone hear anything about Texas?

From what I understand TX typically goes with the NCEES cut score, and posts the pass/fail online with in 24 hrs...

I figure with all these other states boards having the results then TX should be have them already too... :dunno:

Last edited:
Hmm.... I'm not sure where i read that the states have the option of deciding to agree withe NCEES cut score or not...

maybe i was just smokin' crack? :cig: :ass:

I was also told that Texas was going to report the scores this year and not just "Pass/Fail"....

It's true that the states can opt for a cut score other than the one NCEES comes up with but I don't think it ever really happens.

California determines cut scores based on NCEES, but doesn't necessarily conform to NCEES cut scores. From what I've seen, most others do.

Edited to say: I'm waiting with you. Had hoped TX would beat the nation, again. Last year, the website updated a few hours before they emailed notices. Mail arrived a week later. (The website had grades mid-week between the holidays.)

TX does report grades, not just pass fail, although last time, they reported P/F on the website before the letters went out, then added grades about the time the letters arrived. I hate to have the 68 score from April staring at me when I check the database every hour, on the hour. I'd like to think I did 2% beter than last time.

Last edited:
Don't hold your breath in Texas...

Here's an email from the board.

As of this afternoon we haven?t received the Texas exam scores. Our office will close tomorrow at noon and will re-open on Wed 12/27/2206 for the Christmas holiday. If we have the scores when we re-open they will be posted on our website. Check the website at the end of next week to see if they have been posted.

:brick:

Don't hold your breath in Texas...
Here's an email from the board.

As of this afternoon we haven?t received the Texas exam scores. Our office will close tomorrow at noon and will re-open on Wed 12/27/2206 for the Christmas holiday. If we have the scores when we re-open they will be posted on our website. Check the website at the end of next week to see if they have been posted.

They said by Christmas...they lied.... :cry:

Merry Christmas! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

That makes the state boards the Grinch. Because they are mean! :tone:

Last edited:

Let me interpret for you:

We don't care about you, we have your money. Our happiness and holiday celebration can interfere with your happiness and holiday celebration in any way we wish. And if you keep asking "are we there yet?" we will simply make you wait until New Years. (Since they knew some time ago when the exam results would be sent, they could have made arrangements...)

What I'd like to know is this... how difficult is it for NCEES, after sitting on the results for months, to send all of the results at the same time to all jursidictions? Presumably, they could have prepped the files 6 weeks ago, and simply made changes IF anything modified the results. And why do they wait until the week before a major holiday?

The official NCEES position is that the cut scores are predetermined, the tests are validated, and the scoring process is set before the exams are administered. This leaves no reason for delay except whatever BS collusion they try to find.

WTF is so hard about sending electronic files to the states? I think the incompetance of NCEES in administering tests rises so far above average idiot that it dwarfs the word "incompetant". There is no reason the exams cannot be proctored through Prometric or another testing center (as the architecture exams).

Sorry for preaching to the choir, but I hate incompetance.

I don't think its a matter of incompetence, its a matter of mystery. The truth is, we have little information on the details of the process. The only information we get is a grade. We are left on the sidelines having to guess why it takes so long.

Maybe if this exam was for a bureaucrat level 4 license, we'd all be surprised at the speed of an 8+ week turnaround time. But this is an engineering exam taken by people who are constantly hassled about deadlines. I'm sure many firms are financially punished for missing their project deadlines. It aggravates us because this is the organization that is going to determine if we get to be engineers, but they sure don't act like engineers

The official NCEES position is that the cut scores are predetermined, the tests are validated, and the scoring process is set before the exams are administered.  This leaves no reason for delay except whatever BS collusion they try to find.
I don't think there is one correct thing in your statement. Show me where this official position is.

Passing scores can't be predetermined because they have to compare how this test group did compared to the test group that they are equating to.

They can't validate the questions until they see how the individual question perform on the exam. Only at that point can they determine if any questions have multiple answers or should be thrown out.

And I'm not even sure what you mean about the scoring process being set before they administer the exam. I guess you are correct in that they know what the process is?

I know everyone is frustrated but if you read the thread about the cost for the "wait"you'll see several different people came up with the same answers that something like 35,000 exams have to be graded. I'm sure there is some delay in that there are two major holidays to deal with. Maybe they should just give the exams only in the spring. But wait. Then there would be 70,000 exams to score and it would take even longer.

'.02'

I've said in that other thread, I can now see how it would take at least as long as it does to score the exam. My gripe is if the State Boards 'sit' on the results, and my second gripe is this ineffeciency of getting results out.

My suggestion is let ELSES/NCEES put up a website that has results immediately. They can let an individual do a search through an application #, or social sec. #, or some other means, without having to have it so that everyone can see a list. Or, at the very least, they can email a PDF to the State Boards, to avoid the time spent mailing to the Boards, so that they can turn around and Mail them again.

Times have changed, this is a new day where we use computers and electronic transfer for everything................ except PE results.

From the PE Board....

Okay, so here's the scoop. Unofficially, we have heard that the

grades are being SHIPPED today (Friday, 12/22) and won't be at the

office until next week.

Sorry about the delay, but at this point we're at the mercy of NCEES.

So, try and relax as best you can, enjoy the holiday weekend, and

we'll get them out ASAP after Christmas.

Happy Holidays.

Lance

grinch.jpg

From the PE Board....

Okay, so here's the scoop. Unofficially, we have heard that the

grades are being SHIPPED today (Friday, 12/22) and won't be at the

office until next week.

Sorry about the delay, but at this point we're at the mercy of NCEES.

So, try and relax as best you can, enjoy the holiday weekend, and

we'll get them out ASAP after Christmas.

Happy Holidays.

Lance
My original rant was based on the NCEES website's statement about the grading process.

I believe Lance (Kinney) at TBPE, as I have dealt with him and have found him to be genuine, My gripe is that there need be no mystery about this whole process. They do this same thing twice a year, they know what it takes, they have the resources, and they have a job to do. None of us could get away with keeping the mystery about what we do, so why do we allow it here.

They should easily be able to say, "We have X number examinees, and the processing time will be Y number of days. we will deliver the results on day Z."

Back