PE Exam continuing education requirment

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ros

Reaction score
Hello,

I passed and received my PE license in state of NJ in April 2011. When do i have to start taking continuing education credit hours ? do i have to do it in 2011 or from next year when i renew it ? Please help me . thanks for your reply in advance.

Go to your state board website and see what they say. Each state is different, there is no generic, pat answer. The state board website should tell you what your CE requirements are after passing the examination initially.

Go to your state board website and see what they say. Each state is different, there is no generic, pat answer. The state board website should tell you what your CE requirements are after passing the examination initially.
This question raises another good one - when one renews their license for the first time, and if they are required to show PDH's that first time, can they count the PE Exam toward continuing education if they passed? I don't see why not. But I suppose the argument would be that you were not licensed when you took it. So I think we all know the answer to that one.

This question raises another good one - when one renews their license for the first time, and if they are required to show PDH's that first time, can they count the PE Exam toward continuing education if they passed? I don't see why not. But I suppose the argument would be that you were not licensed when you took it. So I think we all know the answer to that one.
The answer SHOULD be NO, you cannot count the PE exam toward your continuing education requirements. You were NOT awarded the license until AFTER you passed the initial PE examination. The continuing education criterion addresses your continued competency and updated education AFTER you have received your license. I fail to see the efficacy of the question.

I sure hope my state never institutes a continuing education requirement. It seems like a huge pain in the nads.

The answer SHOULD be NO, you cannot count the PE exam toward your continuing education requirements. You were NOT awarded the license until AFTER you passed the initial PE examination. The continuing education criterion addresses your continued competency and updated education AFTER you have received your license. I fail to see the efficacy of the question.
Thanks for all the caps. I couldn't have read your message without them. Re-read the last two sentences of my previous post.

The point here is most PDH requirements end up being nothing more than a day or two off work sipping coffee and eating pastries over leisurely topics of broad and vague theories that will likely never be implemented. Most PE's I've worked with acknowledge it's a mere formailty-nothing more. Since the PE Exam can actually force one to increase their knowledge much more so than any PDH offering, it should be allowed to count toward PDH credits, as a special inclusion provided one passed the test. But that would require the very practical efficient forward thinking that few individuals possess these days.

Jason

I sure hope my state never institutes a continuing education requirement. It seems like a huge pain in the nads.
Most of the states that don't have a requirement for a certain number of hours of CE still require you to continue your professional development. They just aren't picky about how you do so.

And it's not that difficult, actually; these days you can get them by paying a small fee to an organization like ASCE, watching a few videos and answering a few quizzes. They usually range between $25 and $50 per PDH, with 15 PDHs per license year being a fairly common requirement.

Hello,
I passed and received my PE license in state of NJ in April 2011. When do i have to start taking continuing education credit hours ? do i have to do it in 2011 or from next year when i renew it ? Please help me . thanks for your reply in advance.
when I renewed in Jersey the first time the requirement was waived.

my first license was only good for about 3 months though...

Most of the states that don't have a requirement for a certain number of hours of CE still require you to continue your professional development. They just aren't picky about how you do so.

And it's not that difficult, actually; these days you can get them by paying a small fee to an organization like ASCE, watching a few videos and answering a few quizzes. They usually range between $25 and $50 per PDH, with 15 PDHs per license year being a fairly common requirement.

15 x $50 = $750 is a small fee?

:p

Hello,
Good question... I have the same one. The board's website and documentation they've sent me says nothing... And I've been dreading calling Newark about it since they had no record of me passing the FE even after I passed the PE. Please post if you find a definitive answer!

Umm, its for a good reason. Stuff can fall down or blow up. go boom.
I know the reason for it, but I disagree with it. I'd hope that a practicing engineer knows enough about their specific job to maintain proficiency on their own without state mandated requirements. Just because someone gets PDH hours doesn't mean they're competent or less prone to mistakes.

Back