Experience Requirements by State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEdude

Reaction score
Hi, everyone I work at civil engineering firm in FL. When I went to one of our FL offices I was catching up with an employee and he mentioned that he is taking the general civil PE exam in CA. He only has 3 years of experience, FL requires the standard 4 years under a PE. Does CA only require 2 years?

Currently I am an EI with 2.5 years of transportation experience. I am at a point in my life where I have the time to devote 3 months of studying while working. So my plan is to take it in another state (CA or NV) in April 2012 and apply for the FL PE when I have the experience. Would I qualify for a PE in California? I was reading on here that some people had their transportation experience denied by the CA board.

What about taking it in Nevada, with no experience required?

Thanks!

what would be the point?
Or you could read their laws and rules.

California requires a total of 6 years of experience to get a license. Up to 4 years may be undergraduate studies, and graduate studies can grant an extra year. At least one year of actual experience is required. It is possible to obtain a license in California without a degree.

That said, they do require that you pass the seismic/surveying exam in addition to the PE to be a licensed Civil engineer. This exam is only available (as far as I know) in California.

Hi, everyone I work at civil engineering firm in FL. When I went to one of our FL offices I was catching up with an employee and he mentioned that he is taking the general civil PE exam in CA. He only has 3 years of experience, FL requires the standard 4 years under a PE. Does CA only require 2 years?
Currently I am an EI with 2.5 years of transportation experience. I am at a point in my life where I have the time to devote 3 months of studying while working. So my plan is to take it in another state (CA or NV) in April 2012 and apply for the FL PE when I have the experience. Would I qualify for a PE in California? I was reading on here that some people had their transportation experience denied by the CA board.

What about taking it in Nevada, with no experience required?

Thanks!

Is there a rush? Even if you were licensed in CA, wouldn't you still need to wait out your 4 years before FA would let you apply for licensor?

What is an "EI"?

Like Karen said, your bachelors degree can count as 4 years toward your 6 years of needed experience in CA, so you'll need 2 years of experience after graduation.

Like Karen said, you'll need to take and pass the CA-Survey and CA-Seismic to get registered in CA. I wouldn't suggest taking these exams on unless you have to.

I believe it is Traffic Engineering experience, not Transportation Engineering which applicants have had trouble with.

Good luck.

An EI is an Engineering Intern. It's your title you receive after you pass the FE.

I figured because I don't have much going on besides working. I could take it in another state where the experience requirement is less and have it transfer to FL when I have the 4 yrs.

I didn't know that CA required you take additional exams to get licensed.

I'll probably just wait until I have the required experience in FL. It was worth a shot at asking.

An EI is an Engineering Intern. It's your title you receive after you pass the FE.
I figured because I don't have much going on besides working. I could take it in another state where the experience requirement is less and have it transfer to FL when I have the 4 yrs.

I didn't know that CA required you take additional exams to get licensed.

I'll probably just wait until I have the required experience in FL. It was worth a shot at asking.
I see. In CA, after you pass the FE, you become an "EIT" (Engineer in Training). I thought it was the same in all states but I guess not.

Yeah, I'd just wait. It will come soon enough. You can spend this time now starting to study. Good luck.

Back