i am considering civil engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoryred1

Reaction score
I am currently in 10th grade and i have been considering going into engineering at university. i am very interested in this field and i love the idea of creating structures. I need to know basically wat to expect in a career of civil engineering. I enjoy and understand at maths and science very well.

but is engineering really all maths and science??????

Are engineering, physics and Maths C a good choice of highschool subjects to go into civil

engineering?

Do you have to be great at maths and physics for civil engineering?

Is engineering a very hands-on subject

Will i find engineering difficult if i dont study?

Is engineering difficult in uni?

Is there alot of work in civil engineering at uni?

Is civil engineering a hard field to get into? (OP wise)

Do civil engineers use physics to construct structures.

Do civil engineers get paid a lot?

Is civil engineering at Uni hard?(explain)

Question for people in Australia, Queensland which is the best of all of these universities; Griffith Uni on Gold Coast, UQ or QUT

please answer all of these im desperate for these Q's to be answered

I am currently in 10th grade and i have been considering going into engineering at university. i am very interested in this field and i love the idea of creating structures. I need to know basically wat to expect in a career of civil engineering. I enjoy and understand at maths and science very well. but is engineering really all maths and science??????

Most of the time you deal with idiot contractors and government bureaucrats.

Are engineering, physics and Maths C a good choice of highschool subjects to go into civil

engineering?

not so much physics but you need to understand basic stuff.

I skipped class a lot in high school.

Most of the time you're writing letters and scratching your head about your asshole colleagues.

Don't stay out late with the women and you'll find you can't drink as much as a liberal arts student.

Depends if your professor is a hardcore asshole.

Tons. While the liberal arts students are out late on a Tuesday night doing keg stands you'll be studying.

takes 8 years to become a PE

Statics and Dynamics.

80k to 110k after 10 years maybe? Depends on a lot of factors.

It's harder than the stuff dipshit liberal art students take.

Question for people in Australia, Queensland which is the best of all of these universities; Griffith Uni on Gold Coast, UQ or QUT

And don't forget, if you want to be a licensed professional engineer, which all Civil Engineer's should be, you have to take 2 huge exams. They're both 8 hours long and have the tendency to make people feel like they've been beaten to a bloody pulp afterwards. Many people have to retake the exams, and so that's a lot of lost time, money, energy and sanity that could have been spent doing other things. If you think you can withstand the torture, then maybe you have what it takes to become: ONE OF US.

Last edited by a moderator:
And don't forget, if you want to be a licensed professional engineer, which all Civil Engineer's should be, you have to take 2 huge exams. They're both 8 hours long and have the tendency to make people feel like they've been beaten to a bloody pulp afterwards. Many people have to retake the exams, and so that's a lot of lost time, money, energy and sanity that could have been spent doing other things. If you think you can withstand the torture, then maybe you have what it takes to become: ONE OF US.

Ha Ha! Seriously, the FE exam was not that bad. I studied for maybe 50 hours, probably less, and was removed from school for 6 months. I'm preparing for the PE (Civil) and am not too worried. Prepare yourself and stay calm, you'll do fine.

I have done Civil Engineering for 28 years following my BS in Engineering, I have never wanted to do anything else. Here is my insight into your questions

but is engineering really all maths and science?????? No, I do alot of accounting and client relations, project management is also a big part of be a CE

engineering? Any math and physics will help in college

Do you have to be great at maths and physics for civil engineering? you dont have to be great but need to be good, leave great to the math and physics majors

Is engineering a very hands-on subject We do design, Build Operate, very hands on

Will i find engineering difficult if i dont study? Unless you have some sort of gift I would think it will be impossible

Is engineering difficult in uni?Yes, it is one of the most difficult and demanding subjects you can take

Is there alot of work in civil engineering at uni?Yes

Is civil engineering a hard field to get into? (OP wise) No, once you graduate you are a civil engineer, unlike other majors that do not have a career path you are on your way. There are very few engineers compared to other professions so they are alway in demand, entry level positions are always available (except now) to get you started

Do civil engineers use physics to construct structures.Absolutly

Do civil engineers get paid a lot?Not as much a lawyers but quite a bit

Is civil engineering at Uni hard?(explain)The drop out rate in the Uni is very high, students that start without a full commitment to becoming an engineer will most likely not last. Only do this if you really enjoy the challange and really want to be an engineer, there are alot of easier ways to get through college but I cannot see how they would be more rewarding.

Not sure I fully agree with the following quote but I dont know how else to put it.

If you think you can withstand the torture, then maybe you have what it takes to become: ONE OF US.

Engineering reminds me of riding my mountain bike is some ways, I crawl up this dusty, rocky, steep trail and finally get to the top. All the pain and suffering seems to go away as I look out over the mountains and see what very few have seen, and take pride in what I have done. Engineering is alot the same, work, suffer and enjoy a view that few see.

I am currently in 10th grade and i have been considering going into engineering at university. i am very interested in this field and i love the idea of creating structures. I need to know basically wat to expect in a career of civil engineering. I enjoy and understand at maths and science very well.

but is engineering really all maths and science??????

It's also business - marketing, client relations, budgeting, networking etc. I don't use any math I didn't learn in high school - lots of algebra and geometry. And a lot of mundane, redundant stuff - specs, basic drafting, filing, etc.

engineering?

Might want to stay after class or get a tutor to bump those grades up. Straight C's are frowned upon by the more competitive schools.

You need a sold understanding of the concepts.

Your job isn't gonna do itself...

If you are lazy and want to cut corners, don't major in engineering. But take heart, there are plenty of burgers that need flipping.

Yes, very.

No, you have plenty of time to sit there and watch your toenails grow.

No idea about Australian job market.

Only if you're a structural. The you usually use steel to construct structures.

Less than some other disciplines, but work is usually easy enough to find.

You ask a lot of the same questions.

This board is meant for people in the US preparing for the PE exam, I doubt anyone here knows this.

UQ is a member of the group of 8, the top universities in Australia... http://www.go8.edu.au/go8-members/go8-member-profiles

Not sure if you are posting here in error, or if you plan to head to the US for work... But keep in mind that getting a PE here can be more difficuly for international degrees. A lot of states will not let you even sit the exam unless you get US permanent residency. Doesn't mean you can't work, but just saying...

is there an age requirement to join this site?

I wish there was better-enforced requirement to post threads in the appropriate sub-forum. What does considering engineering have to do with engineering exam results?
It's very impressive to see a 10th grader thinking about a career in civil engineering. What's more impressive is a 10th grader finding out about this website without knowing what is a PE exam. (Maybe Google did the trick).

Back