Fire Protection Engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmhaliburton

Reaction score
New here. Anyone taking the FPE in October? I have tried more than twice so if you know any tricks PLEASE let me know

My advice: take the Mechanical exam unless you HAVE to have the FP exam. The test material from the SFPE is just pitiful. Or at least it was when I considered taking it back in 2006.

Capt Worley, I already have a PE in Mechanical Exam and passed it. But, for what I do at work I need a PE in Fire Protection also. What do you mean when you say that the test material was pitiful? What was your experience like?

I didn't take the exam because the test material and practice problems were rife with errors. In fact, the very first two questions were FUBAR (I called someone who was involved with writing it, but can't recall the name, and it was two computers ago, so I don't have the contact info).

Now, that being said, that was seven years ago, so the material is hopefully much better, but I wasn't going to waste my time trying to acheive a FPE in a general engineering state if I could do so more effectively by getting a PE by passing Mechanical.

I'm in the same boat as dsk. I took the HVAC exam in April 2013 and passed. Then I signed up for the FP exam for October. I took the SFPE review course, and had all the materials, and they were TERRIBLE. Every day while studying i found multiple errors and typos. Pathetic. I agree... don't take it if you don't have to. I failed the exam in 2013. Retook it in Oct 2014... impatiently waiting for the results. Unfortunately, the SFPE materials are THE ONLY materials available.

Back