Anybody know anything about asphalt?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whitley85

I need a good resource regarding the difference between Rice mixes and Marshall mixes. Specifically, when to use either mix, and how to properly conduct and interpret compaction testing. I know a little, but not enough. Thanks!

Whenever I have to spec out pavement, I just call out typical roadway mixes from the state DOT handbook. The only thing I know about asphalt is that it's hot and smells funny.

the difference between Rice mixes and Marshall mixes
Hmm, Rice vs. Marshall. Sounds like a bowl game matchup.

not familiar with Rice or Marshall, is that a specific mix procedure they would use within the plant?

down here we mainly use "Super Pave"

There is a ton of info available if you use a search engine such as Google

Marshall seems to refer to a design procedure

Rice appears to be a method of testing

An aside:

The acoustic absorption coefficient is generally less than 0.1 for most asphalts, although there is development efforts underway to increase the absorption to provide for "quiet roads".

Rice vs. Marshall does sound like a football game doesn't it?

Thanks for the links sapperslead, I'll check those out.

My company does construction materials testing, among other things, and I'm getting thrown into the asphalt testing side. All I know is, the asphalt is designed using either a Rice or a Marshall. The plant is supposed to tell you which one was used. Then I redo whatever the plant did and check my densities against that test. My problem is, I don't understand why one is used instead of the other. We see both types of mixes. Since I don't know too much about this, I'm uncomfortable talking to stupid city inspectors about it. (I've lost count of how many times I've had to explain to some stupid inspector that you don't take density tests on native, cut material.)

Rice came out hot and cohesive and laid the foundation for a great game. However, they were eventually rolled over by Marshall in the second half.
:lmao:

I don't remember rice method from class, I think my teacher touched briefly on it. Marshall mix was the old way of designing ashpalt. I have a book around here somewhere on asphalt if i can find it i will give you what it has in it.

Superpave is used a lot now adays, as it makes a more consistent asphalt cookie.

whitley-

I just happen to work for the National Center for Asphalt Technology. So let me try to answer your question.

First - the Rice gravity is the gravity of your asphalt sample if it had no volume of air.

Back in the day, before Superpave, a lot of producers used a percentage of the Marshall gravity as a specification for pay. "92% of Marshall..." It's just that Marshall gravity is a percentage of the Rice gravity.

Today, most all density spec is done as a percent of the Rice gravity. "94% of TMD, or Rice gravity = 6% air voids"

Hopefully this helps....

check out this website: www.ncat.us

ktulu

Back