Motorcyclist Protesting Helmet Law Dies After Hitting Head

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw that this weekend... yes, that'll show them that helmets aren't required... oh wait...

dumbest thing I have ever seen is all the bikers riding ON THE INTERSTATE in South Carolina with no helmets on, jeepers yes you look cool, but that's really really really gonna hurt if there's an accident...

I can see an argument for maybe riding down A1A in Florida or something, but on the **** interstate where people are going 70 mph+ ??

seems like its a good mechanism for population control, but thats about it...

I'm all for personal freedom, but those jackwagons who keep dying on our highways not wearing a helmet screw with our fatality statistics and that keeps the FHWA up our asses. Please continue to "ride free" in New York and stay away from our state.

dumbest thing I have ever seen is all the bikers riding ON THE INTERSTATE in South Carolina with no helmets on
Here in SC, we firmly believe in letting people have the freedom to make stupid decisions.

Personally, I always buckle up and endorse helmet use, but I absolutely loathe laws mandating their use.

dumbest thing I have ever seen is all the bikers riding ON THE INTERSTATE in South Carolina with no helmets on
Here in SC, we firmly believe in letting people have the freedom to make stupid decisions.

Personally, I always buckle up and endorse helmet use, but I absolutely loathe laws mandating their use.
that is exactly my opinion. every state should honor the "right to die".

if you could keep the family members of those who dont die from sending the cost to keep them alive to the US Taxpayer that would be fine with me...

if you could keep the family members of those who dont die from sending the cost to keep them alive to the US Taxpayer that would be fine with me...
I don't think that actually happens all that much, percentage wise. At least, not enough for me to get upset about.

I don't think that actually happens all that much, percentage wise. At least, not enough for me to get upset about.

it happens more than you think, my wife works in a Neuro ICU and they get at least 2 patients a month, uninsured "victims" of auto wrecks.. Billed to Medicaid or absorbed by the Health Care Industry (i.e. we all pay for it)

what more sad is they spend tens of thousands and most of them end up dying anyways.....

Sometimes I ride without a helmet, sometimes I use one. It all depends on where I'm going and on what types of roads.

The silliest thing I keep seeing is these kids zipping around on the crotch rocket wearing a full-face helmet, tank top, shorts, and sandals. All the first responders are going to find is their perfectly preserved head at the end of a long red smear. I guess they're trying to make their face pretty for the funeral.

it happens more than you think, my wife works in a Neuro ICU and they get at least 2 patients a month, uninsured "victims" of auto wrecks.. Billed to Medicaid or absorbed by the Health Care Industry (i.e. we all pay for it)

what more sad is they spend tens of thousands and most of them end up dying anyways.....
That's what I'm saying. I would bet she sees most of the cases in GA, at least a lion's share. Statistically, that isn't all that much. And, the costs have always been absorbed that way, so it doesn't bother me that much.

It does bother me that 'heroic measures' are used on patients that are pretty much goners, or will live as a vegetable, but, ethically, what can doctors do?

I could not figure out how it is legal to ride without a helmet, but you can get a ticket for riding in a car without a seatbelt.

I was in one accident when I had my bike and I was completely stopped at a red light (got rear ended).

People just don't pay attention when they are driving...

I read that article in the paper yesterday and started laughing.

My wife thought I was an ass for finding it funny. I think that is chuckle worthy (I know its someone's family member,...but)

It does bother me that 'heroic measures' are used on patients that are pretty much goners, or will live as a vegetable, but, ethically, what can doctors do?
Apparently they can ignore the ethics entirely.

/Threadjack

I have a friend whose ex-wife just died of an operable brain tumor. Why? Because the hospital that diagnosed her refused to treat "until it's life threatening" on the basis that she had no insurance.

I'm really, really hoping my friend takes them to the cleaners. Unfortunately she's already involved in a custody dispute in that city, and is employed/lives halfway across the country, so dealing with it might be a little much.

the helmet thing can go both ways. The neighbor across the street from my folks house. His wifes former husband was killed in a bike accident and the doctors said it was actually the helmet that killed him. had he not been wearing it his head wouldn't have gotten stuck and therefore preventing the decapitation

Don't wear a helmet, I don't care. I consider it job security for my family as my wife is a nurse in the ICU, my dad is a charge nurse in an ER, my mom is a pharmacist and my mother-in-law does insurance billing for a hospital. :true:

While you're at it, go ahead and have another cigarette...

Last edited by a moderator:
I view riding the motorcycle in the same way as flying the plane. Both are a lot of fun but can be incredibly unforgiving if you let your guard down.

People just don't pay attention when they are driving...

I've mentioned this before, but in the OR my wife works in they are referred to as "donorcycles".

I view riding the motorcycle in the same way as flying the plane. Both are a lot of fun but can be incredibly unforgiving if you let your guard down.

I grew up riding trails but I have never got a street bike endorsement because of "the other guy."

Riding is fun and the MPG of a bike is great. But I knew so many people who'd lost their limbs or lives to folks in cars running stop signs or just "not seeing" bikers that I never had any interest in road biking.

The way I see it.

1) The "man" should not have the authority to pass laws dictating safety measures for adults to protect themselves from themselves. The pro arguement is always the cost associated with treatment in the event of an accident, which leads me to number 2.

2) Why is it that people in this country feel that everyone is entitled to the best/state of the art medical care? Fact of the matter is that medical research, the latest medical devices and the best medical education are all expensive. If you can't pay for the treatment on your own, don't have insurance, and/or haven't paid taxes or any other revenue stream that pays intot the system, then why should the "system" be responsible for medical care for you?

not to mention that many times even if the medical care is administered, but is not successful, then there are lawsuits claiming damages.

There are accidents everyday. People get sick and die everyday. It's a fact of life. Keeeping folks alive on machines is often no quality of life so why not let them just "move on".

hindsight is easy. accident recreation will find someway the accident was preventable almost every time, therefore blame can be assessed and we're off to the courts.

Back