No Child Left Behind

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
WASHINGTON — With the clock ticking, federal education officials fear that calamity awaits.
If Congress doesn't move quickly to change the No Child Left Behind law, they project that a whopping 82 percent of the nation's public schools could fail to meet proficiency targets this year, facing sanctions that ultimately can include a loss of federal aid. That's up from 37 percent last year.

Beset with a case of the jitters, Education Secretary Arne Duncan is warning of “a slow-moving educational train wreck for children, parents and teachers” – and he's not waiting for the crash.

With Congress showing no signs of meeting a request by President Obama to overhaul the law by this fall, Duncan said he'll use executive authority to waive some requirements of the law, essentially freeing states from any harsh consequences if their schools fail to meet the federal testing requirements.

His threat has set off a clash on Capitol Hill, where key lawmakers say it would be a mistake to bypass Congress. They're not particularly eager to relinquish their authority to the executive branch.
Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2011/07/05/1885750...d#ixzz1REyJIMeb

It's very ironic that this law leaves up to 82% of children behind.

Duncan said he'll use executive authority to waive some requirements of the law.

The law may be horrible and need to be replaced. However, I have issues with an unelected bureaucrat having authority to waive parts of the law that they have issues with. Congress should deal with this, in their absence the law should be left as they passed it.

Duncan said he'll use executive authority to waive some requirements of the law.
The law may be horrible and need to be replaced. However, I have issues with an unelected bureaucrat having authority to waive parts of the law that they have issues with. Congress should deal with this, in their absence the law should be left as they passed it.
Now that Congress isn't busy with Weinergate, yes, maybe they can focus on this.

No, they're too busy using the debt limit issue to decide who has the biggest weiner.

Illinois just cut the writing portion from the standardized tests they give. It isn't required under NCLB so to save $ they are going to stop testing the kids on the writing abilities.

The writing portion is still given to fourth graders in Texas, but it doesn't "count" so you wouldn't be held back if you couldn't show proficiency, nice, huh?

Anyway, we're starting a new standardized testing system here next year, so we'll see how it goes.

The state has also initiated end of course exams for high school classes, in order to pass the class. That starts next year, too. My son took the sample tests this year and thought they were pretty easy.

I think it's a testament to our crappy education system when even our educators can't successfully organize a cheating scandal. At least if they'd have gotten away with it, I would have given them some credit for ingenuity.

Surprised there isn't more cheating going on with as much emphasis is placed on the statewide exams.

I'm sure there is. Loss of federal funds is a pretty strong motivation to do so, unfortunately.

Remember, parents, the school is not the sole entity responsible for a child's education...
I agree that parents should take an active role in educating their children, and I take that very seriously. As I have said before, I also believe that there is more to education than just going to school. However, not all parents agree, or even acknowledge that education is vital for their children's success. Some parents just figure that school is a way to get free babysitting until their child turns 18, and could care less about the education that they receive. Others don't have time (or won't make time) to steward their child's education...

What should we do about those kids?

The education system in this country is being run by people who don't care about education for people that don't care about education.

What I can't understand is how the U.S. has supposedly a poor public education system and such great universities. Who allowed that to happen? I would state without hesitation that the teaching I received in high school (Grades 9-12) was superior to what I received in a public university. Most university courses are taught either by full professors who can barely conceal their boredom at having to deal with undergraduates when they would prefer to be involved in their research projects or by teaching assistants who are merely grad students working for their PhD and not professional teachers. I had the advantage of attending a high school with some very dedicated and passionate teachers in chemistry, physics, algebra, history who would shame some university professors in a head to head comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I can't understand is how the U.S. has supposedly a poor public education system and such great universities. Who allowed that to happen? I would state without hesitation that the teaching I received in high school (Grades 9-12) was superior to what I received in a public university. Most university courses are taught either by full professors who can barely conceal their boredom at having to deal with undergraduates when they would prefer to be involved in their research projects or by teaching assistants who are merely grad students working for their PhD and not professional teachers. I had the advantage of attending a high school with some very dedicated and passionate teachers in chemistry, physics, algebra, history who would shame some university professors in a head to head comparison.

Because in college, you are forced to basically "teach yourself" at least that was my experience.

In public schools 1-12 grades they spoon feed everything to you so that you can pass mandatory tests like NCLB. The teachers make it as easy as they can for you so they can ensure federal or state funding because that is where the money is.

At most universities, they might receive public money but it isn't linked necessarily to student performance. Plus all the ratards are not signing up to go to college anyway so your majority of college freshman ----->actually want to learn.

Generally my experience is most people earn their degree IN SPITE OF their professors who are focused on research anyway.

In public schools 1-12 grades they spoon feed everything to you so that you can pass mandatory tests like NCLB. The teachers make it as easy as they can for you so they can ensure federal or state funding because that is where the money is.
Not sure about the College perspective, but I will say this is absolutely accurate in my experience. Admittedly, that experience is a little dated at this point - I left school behind close to 15 years ago - but still.

Back