updated 2009 IBC

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loco

Reaction score
The 345 Solved Seismic Design Problems which I heard is good, is based on the 2006 IBC. Does any one know if that book is going to be upgraded to the 2009 IBC wich is the current code for the seismic principles exam.

Also I was looking at the Chelepati course online and is also base on the 2006 code.

Anyone, is there any significant difference between the the two codes to justify purchasing new work books for the Oct 2011 test?

I have the 2006 IBC and the workbook from Hiner based on the 2006 code.

I know the ASCE 7 did not change for the test.

This Oct will be my second time taking the test.

The 345 Solved Seismic Design Problems which I heard is good, is based on the 2006 IBC. Does any one know if that book is going to be upgraded to the 2009 IBC wich is the current code for the seismic principles exam.Also I was looking at the Chelepati course online and is also base on the 2006 code.

Anyone, is there any significant difference between the the two codes to justify purchasing new work books for the Oct 2011 test?

I have the 2006 IBC and the workbook from Hiner based on the 2006 code.

I know the ASCE 7 did not change for the test.

This Oct will be my second time taking the test.

I hear you. It can be frustrating when codes change affecting existing references.

I too heard the 345 book is a good reference so I e-mailed PPI asking when/if they plan to update it to reference the current '09 IBC / '10 CBC and they wrote back and said "When the exam referenced the '10 CBC" and I wrote back and said "It currently does" and they wrote back and said "No it doesn't", I wrote back with a link to the CA State Board's site stating that the exam does now reference the '10 CBC and they wrote back and said "Thank you". Uh, where's the answer to my original question??

The only references I know of that have been updated for the '10 CBC is the Hiner workbook and the Mansour study material.

I too would like to know how important it is to ensure our study material makes reference to the latest IBC/CBC. Is it still worth getting the 345 Problems book or not? I don't know.

loco, in my opinion, I think you should make sure your primary study and reference material is up to date (ex. The Hiner workbook and the IBC/CBC.

I hope I dont add to the confusion with bad information, however, my take on this is the calculations are based on physics and ASCE 07, the building code may change as far as materials or strengths but the seismic calcs will be the same so nearly all the 345 problems will be ok. I think there is some information on the internet about the difference in the new CBC/IBC. The only change in the CBC/IBC which would effect some problems would be if the wood diaphram or shear wall tables changed. Hope this is more help than hinderance.

I think materials based on IBC2006 will still be sufficient since IBC2009 also refers to the same ASCE 7-05. Two major changes in IBC 2009 I like to point out are: Seismic Design of Wood Structures in IBC2009 refers to NDS/SDPWS 2008 (which can be downloaded free) and Concrete Structure Design refers to ACI 318-08 not ACI 318-05 (pay attention to the chapter 21 in 08, which is quite different in section organization compared to that in 05). But fundamental stuffs are still same. Pretty much you will get the same answers based on either IBC2006 or IBC2009.

Sometime I think they refresh the codes so often just to sell the books :) . They could just release the updates with some supplements.

Thank you all for your replies.

Some one told me that there are not that many changes in the new Hiner book based on the IBC 2009.

So I am just going to study the version that I have. The 2006 Hiner book is still a very good book. If you can find it it should worked out just like K1 said. Just remember people, one change is the CBC 1613A.6.7 Minimum distance for building separation. and the wood chapter of the code. If you go to the California web page (the CBC is on line) you can look it up there.

Has anyone studied the books from Mansour?

How are those books compare to Hiner's workbook.

good luck,

Thank you all for your replies.Some one told me that there are not that many changes in the new Hiner book based on the IBC 2009.

So I am just going to study the version that I have. The 2006 Hiner book is still a very good book. If you can find it it should worked out just like K1 said. Just remember people, one change is the CBC 1613A.6.7 Minimum distance for building separation. and the wood chapter of the code. If you go to the California web page (the CBC is on line) you can look it up there.

Has anyone studied the books from Mansour?

How are those books compare to Hiner's workbook.

good luck,

loco,

I finished the Hiner workbook and am now on Chapt 5 of Mansour. I can say that Hiner's is way better. Mansour's chapters and topics are all over the place and he seems to use terms and acronyms not yet defined. If I hadn't already read Hiner, I'd be going nuts. I feel like half of his end of chapter questions can not even be answered from his own chapter alone. Apparently he 'updated' his book from the 2006 IBC to the 2009 IBC in a hurry because he missed every other reference to 2006 in his text. Many typos. Not too impressed. If you do use Mansour, make sure it is after you go through Hiner, otherwise you'll be lost. He does have a few plusses over Hiner, but just a few.

If this helps at all, I just finished the PPI (Baradar) Practice exams (which references the 2006 IBC, not the 2009). In the 2 exams x 47 questions each = 94 questions total, there was only one question that referenced an IBC table which had been completely revised and I had to skip it. Not too bad.

Chapter 16 (Load Combinations and The "Occupancies" Table, which is slightly different from the one in ASCE 7-05), Chapter 17 (Special Inspections and Structural Observations), and Chapter 23 (Wood diaphragm and shear wall tables) should do.

Back