bootleg exam materials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsychoNumber1

Awesome
Reaction score
anyone else notice the number of people with illegal copies of exam materials? it seemed like nearly everyone had a photocopy or pdf printout of something that isn't typically sold in that form. especially some of the more expensive reference books for the CA specifics like the IBC and ASCE.

I didn't notice that, but I did notice a ton of people with practice problem solution manuals, which from reading the list of stuff we were allowed to bring in NJ, I thought was a big no no.

To me, if you don't know the material enough to work the problems out on your own, you are starting out from a disadvantage in the first place, so if people want to bring that stuff, and it's allowed, fine by me... but I couldn't imagine spending half the test flipping through 10 million binder pages.

I was able to get by with the PE reference book, a Cameron Hydraulic data book, an HVAC text book, and the 4 ASHRAE manuals. Didn't even need two of the ASHRAE books.

I didn't notice that, but I did notice a ton of people with practice problem solution manuals, which from reading the list of stuff we were allowed to bring in NJ, I thought was a big no no.
To me, if you don't know the material enough to work the problems out on your own, you are starting out from a disadvantage in the first place, so if people want to bring that stuff, and it's allowed, fine by me... but I couldn't imagine spending half the test flipping through 10 million binder pages.

I was able to get by with the PE reference book, a Cameron Hydraulic data book, an HVAC text book, and the 4 ASHRAE manuals. Didn't even need two of the ASHRAE books.
It's more than a little bit more complex for Civil - every different material has a different code, with major differences in them, and a lot of different formulas for each type. I don't know the specifics of Mechanical testing, but I'm guessing that most of the codes are comparatively simple and straightforward. When I sat for the PE (Civil w/ Structural depth) I'd been working with the various codes for 8-9 years, and I still had to look up information in the IBC, AISC, ACI 318, ASCE7, and three non-code reference books I'd brought along.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's more than a little bit more complex for Civil - every different material has a different code, with major differences in them, and a lot of different formulas for each type. I don't know the specifics of Mechanical testing, but I'm guessing that most of the codes are comparatively simple and straightforward. When I sat for the PE (Civil w/ Structural depth) I'd been working with the various codes for 8-9 years, and I still had to look up information in the IBC, AISC, ACI 318, ASCE7, and three non-code reference books I'd brought along.
I'm sure it's more complicated for the other disciplines, based on the suitcases, milk crates, hand trucks, etc full of books I saw others wheel in. I heard from a friend who took it in NY he saw a guy with three shelf book case full of books wheeled in on a hand truck.

I'm not sure our code are less complicated, but there definitely are less code related questions. I had only one, related to an outdated version of ASHRAE 62.1 and they included the relevant excerpt in the question.

Back