Requirement to take PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarjamman

Reaction score
Quick question but I cannot find a straight forward answer anywhere. When I apply to take my PE exam and lets say I pass it, how do I prove that I have the required experience to the state board? I live in MA and cannot seem to find any forms or documentation to fill out.

I ask because I have been working at my current place of employment for almost 2 years but I am looking to find work else where. I have a couple promising leads but I do not want to lose all my experience that I have gained by leaving and not having anything documented.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Call your board. They will be more than happy to help you.

In Texas, your experience doesn't need to be reviewed by your employer, just by three other PEs who are familiar with the type of work that you do. When I submitted my record, I had my work reviewed by my boss, a colleague, and a former professor. Document all of your work experience in one record. If you change employers, your work record from both should just be combined. Potentially, your work record from your former employer can be reviewed by your new one.

Doing a quick Google search, it looks like MA uses PCS for all of their PE licensing. Go to the PCS website and you'll find the Massachusetts applications, which includes places for references as well as the table we all know and love where you put in your experience and then have it verified by your references.

If MA is anything like Colorado, you'll need to have your experience approved before you take the exam itself.

Quick question but I cannot find a straight forward answer anywhere. When I apply to take my PE exam and lets say I pass it, how do I prove that I have the required experience to the state board? I live in MA and cannot seem to find any forms or documentation to fill out.
I ask because I have been working at my current place of employment for almost 2 years but I am looking to find work else where. I have a couple promising leads but I do not want to lose all my experience that I have gained by leaving and not having anything documented.

I'm lost. Why would you need to prove experience to the state board after you pass the PE?

I'm lost. Why would you need to prove experience to the state board after you pass the PE?
I don't understand the OP's post either. I was under the impression that the state board would have to review and approve an applicant's experience before granting permission to sit for the PE exam. Not afterward.

Back