"Ill Fame" ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALBin517

Reaction score
The manager of the Velvet Touch (adult bookstore) here in Lansing was charged with, "maintaining a house of ill fame."

It sounds like a law from the 1800s but I had never heard of that charge before.

so was he operating one of the happy ending movie rooms in the basement?

Supposedly the house my parents bought was used as a house of ill fame. the neighbors were overjoyed when a family with kids moved in.

If I had known there was a place named the Velvet Touch, I'd have stopped going to the Crusty Bucket years ago!

Yeah, an undercover cop came in and the manager offered to arrange a little something extra.
And lemme guess... It took the undercover officer 10 trips and cost him several hundred dollars before he was able to "close" the investigation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the cop turned him in because he got the "full" one.

so was he operating one of the happy ending movie rooms in the basement?
Supposedly the house my parents bought was used as a house of ill fame. the neighbors were overjoyed when a family with kids moved in.
My first apartment was in a house that used to be a funeral home. It kinda creeped me out, but the thought of living in an old brothel might be even creepier. I guess this shows I've reached the point where germs are scarier than ghosts.

The main "massage parlor" for our state got shut down. Awkward moment when a noted doctor in town was one of the clients.

On a serious note:

It's the world's oldest profession.

As long as it's between consenting adults and there's no "slavery" or other forced human trafficking involved. Personally, I couldn't care less. There are much bigger problems in this world to worry about and/or waste law enforcement forces on.

csb: I don't wee why it would be "creepy" to live in a former brothel. Chances are people have had sex in any building we occupy. I'd find a mortuary a lot creepier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the issue is more that the working women are often abused by their clients and pimps, and it's a great way to spread disease.

But in prinicple I agree with you. If it's consentual, and not hurting anyone, who cares.

I say regulate it and bring in a fortune in tax dollars.

csb: I don't wee why it would be "creepy" to live in a former brothel. Chances are people have had sex in any building we occupy. I'd find a mortuary a lot creepier.
I think the average person who is being buried had a pretty normal life, while the energy surrounding a brothel seems darker to me.

Dunno...my grandmother's house was the scene of a brutal murder where the husband/dad stabbed his wife and three children then killed himself. That was a creepy house.

Dunno...my grandmother's house was the scene of a brutal murder where the husband/dad stabbed his wife and three children then killed himself. That was a creepy house.
yeah. I don't think I'd like that. I hope she got a good deal on it, and I'll bet she had some really good Halloween parties.

They framed the article about the murder and had it hanging in the hallway near the bathroom where the mother was left to die. The wood floor outside the bathroom was permanently stained from her blood. I never wanted to go upstairs by myself!

Back