NCEES Record?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingcrosbyb

Reaction score
Can someone explain the benefits of an NCEES record? Do most of your companies pay for the process? How long does it take? Thanks in advance.

Can someone explain the benefits of an NCEES record? Do most of your companies pay for the process? How long does it take? Thanks in advance.
The main benefit is that you will get all of your references/education verifications/employment verifications done in one shot. If you only intend to be licensed in 2 or less states in your career, there's no need to do it. But if you expect to need license in, say, 5 or more states during your career it will really come in handy. If you don't have a record, you would have to get letters from EVERY reference for EVERY state in which you seek licensure. You would also have to have college transcripts sent to EVERY state in which you seek licensure. My company paid for mine. It took about a month, but depends how quickly your references send their stuff in.

I completed reciprocity in one State and after getting fed up with all of the paperwork and delays, completed the record and then easily obtained reciprocity in 2 other states with half the effort and headache. Not to mention that NCEES has the record online which is easy to access and report to any board.

Have a look at this thread bingcrosbyb. There have been a few discussions on this topic but basically momech hit it on the head. Took me about a month to get mine and my employer reimbursed me for the process. BTW, congrats on getting your PE. :thumbs:

A few states (and Puerto Rico) now require an NCEES record if you're going for reciprocity:

In an effort to improve its licensure process, the Georgia State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors recently began requiring an NCEES Record for professional engineers seeking licensure by comity.
The state joins four other jurisdictions that have set this requirement: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Puerto Rico require engineering comity licensure applicants to have an NCEES Record. Kentucky requires a record for both engineering and surveying comity licensure applicants.

That looks like a huge paperwork saver! One problem for me is going to be the 5 PE references. I can get two or three for sure that I have worked with/under, but not 5. I'm sure this has come up with hundereds of applicants before; any suggestions?

NBeebe, join your local chapter of NSPE and go to meetings and make PE friends. They don't have to be familiar with your work. They're just character references. If I remember correctly...

We do work all around the country, so for my company it's recommended and I belie they pay for it.

I will have to file immediately for two states as soon as my license comes through from NJ, I plan on doing it through the NCEES.

My company paid. Though they didn't know what the heck it was. I had to "sell them on it". It helps avoid tons of paperwork if you will become licensed in more the 1 additional state via comity. It takes as long as you let it.... depends on how fast you said out your references, employer verifications, license verifications, transcript requests, and how long it takes each of these to respond. I'd say it will be a minimum of a month... The license and transcript verifications response times are beyond you control. I was lazy and it took me like 6 months.

States are starting to require NCEES record to receive a license by comity (Kentucky is one for sure)

NCEES is annoying paperwork, but even if you are only going to get comity in 2 states I think it is worth it long term.

Is this something the company supposed to pay for?
I wouldn't think so, unless it was specifically required for your job. Say for example that you were an engineer or consultant for big company that does work throughout the USA , and needed to stamp drawings in multiple states for business need, then I would say yes, they should pay for it in that case because it makes business sense.

The NCEES record is worth establishing now, especially if you are early in your career and/or intend on working outside of current jurisdiction (state). There are a number of states that are requiring you to have the NCEES Record established if you are seeking licensure by endorsement, so even if you think you have a chance of being mobile, it's a good idea IMHO.

JR

I'm still struggling with the ncess comity record transfer because of the limits in which references remain valid:

https://apps.ncees.org/boardprofile/results/index.php?survey_id=1003&section_id=6&question_id=50

If I'm understanding this, my references through ncees will expire based on a predetermined time frame set by each State?? The only reason I'd ever consider the ncees comity record is to avoid harassing my current and previous coworkers for additional reference letters but it sounds like it wouldn't matter!!? This whole thing sounds like another ncees polished turd.

I'm still struggling with the ncess comity record transfer because of the limits in which references remain valid:

https://apps.ncees.o...&question_id=50

If I'm understanding this, my references through ncees will expire based on a predetermined time frame set by each State?? The only reason I'd ever consider the ncees comity record is to avoid harassing my current and previous coworkers for additional reference letters but it sounds like it wouldn't matter!!? This whole thing sounds like another ncees polished turd.
Hmm...I don't think it works like that. When you have an "active" record, it doesn't matter when you obtained the reference. Each year you need to renew your record with a single reference which keeps your record current. It will then depend if the state you are applying to for comity will accept an NCEES record. If they do, NCEES will send all the documentation including references. I don't think it is indicated on any of the forms when your reference actually became a reference for you. And as long as you keep your record current, most states that accept it probably won't hassle you on it.

Back