Chemical PE - April 2011 Passing Percentage

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What areas were your weaknesses? Maybe we can point you to some resources that helped us.

Did you go through one of your textbooks on those two subjects or leave it to the CheRM? I found the CheRM was very good for a lot of subjects but incredibly lacking in kinetics and vle. I took Fogler and an old mass transfer book with me to the test.

Did you go through one of your textbooks on those two subjects or leave it to the CheRM? I found the CheRM was very good for a lot of subjects but incredibly lacking in kinetics and vle. I took Fogler and an old mass transfer book with me to the test.

I didnt have a book in college for either of those classes (VLE and kinetics). Any good suggestions? What is the "CheRM"?

Lindeburg's Chemical Engineering Reference Manual (CheRM), you can probably get by the VLE section with what is in the CheRM book. I would suggest Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering by Scott Fogler as a reference for Kinetics.

I failed at the first time. It is really hard to start over to study. CheRM was not too helpfull for me during the exam. What kind of books you suggest for the following subjects:

- Stoichiometric calculations

- Pumps

- Health and Safety

What about the online refreshing courses?

Any advice will be appreciated...

:mf_followthroughfart:

I guess people study/think differently. The ChERM was my MOST USED reference during the test. Yes there are sections that are totally pointless and of no help but even the limited kinetics section ended up being my go to when I couldn't find it in my college text book.

Health and safety for the ChE test is way out there I agree ChERM didn't help at all but this is also where the experience part works it way into the test.

I found the 6 minute solutions and the CheERM practice problems very helpful. Yes they took way more than 6 minutes, but they reinforced the concepts. They were much harder than the test.

Good luck with the online courses, I couldn't find any when I took the test.

I think the only way to really get mass and energy balances down is by working all sorts of problems. Get a textbook and start working problems to see different ways that they can ask the questions to "trick" you. This way you become more comfortable in just knowing where to start with the problem and the best way to solve a particular problem.

CbusPaul and snickerd3 both of yo are the rock of the ChemE PE page. Thanks for all your help and support.

Snickd83 I just did six minutes problems completely and ncees practice exam ...It helped me refresh some of the concepts . I am okay in kinetics ...any suggestions for this week what can I do before Friday to improve please?

biggest thing is to relax, it is just a test. Units units units are the biggest thing to remember. circle/underline what the question wants the answer in, because it will be different than what you worked the problems in and guess what, that uncoverted answer will be one of the solutions. when i took it, one of the questions had so much extra info and it was simply a unit coversion problem. They do give you more info than you need, they want to know if you can weed through mess and truely understand what they are asking. And if the calcs seem to way to complicated/hard you are most likely doing something wrong. you have to be able to solve the problem with a basic calculator. it's my opinioon, but looking things up on steam tables and such in references is more for questions that are testing your ability to read a steam table than actually a question looking for a problem with info from a steam table, the answers would vary too much so the needed information would be given to you on one form or another, not likely in a readily usable form though.

There will be questions that experience based or what don't seem to be able to find in references, just something you have to have known from working....those sucked.

good luck. remember units, units units.

Thank you for your advice ..I really appreciate it I discovered units were becoming an issue ...so now the first thing I do is write down the units ...and then what info is needed and then the equations ...I make sure in the end all units cancel out . I printed out few CEP magazine article just on random how to? Best way to? Etc I skimmed through them but I made a table with titles ...in case experience based questions come from there

Yep. Not sure how I feel about it but I'll do my best. Anxious is a pretty accurate description of my feelings lately.

Back