I was notified this morning that I passed PE exam. Can I put 'P.E.' title on my signature block now?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sws2143

Reaction score
I was notified that I passed PE exam of April in Washington states.

How can I get my license number? NCEES result notification said that I will have wall certificate about 12 weeks later. So, should I wait until I receive the wall certificate to know my license number?

That means I cannot put 'P.E.' title on my signature block until I get wall certificate?

If somebody knows for this, please share your experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
a wall cert is for show. you will need to wait until you receive somethign from your state with your license number, or you might be able to look it up online. But until you have your license # i wouldn't go changing anything just yet.

I was notified that I passed PE exam of April in Washington states. How can I get my license number? NCEES result notification said that I will have wall certificate about 12 weeks later. So, should I wait until I receive the wall certificate to know my license number?

That means I cannot put 'P.E.' title on my signature block until I get wall certificate?

There's more than 1 State of Washington? Did the People's Republic of Spokane secede overnight when I wasn't watching?

The things you learn on an engineering site.

If you ask me, personally, when you get the notice from NCEES saying that you passed, then you're a PE. Having the cert in hand and a number is the 'final' step, but it's not like you're not going to pay the fee to get the certificate after all that work. I put mine on my signature already without even skipping a beat.

If you ask me, personally, when you get the notice from NCEES saying that you passed, then you're a PE. Having the cert in hand and a number is the 'final' step, but it's not like you're not going to pay the fee to get the certificate after all that work. I put mine on my signature already without even skipping a beat.
passing the test does not make you a PE, it is a multiple step process. there are experience requirements that have to be met. Calling yourself a PE without the states license is a big no no. Several states let you take the test before the experience is gained so you DEFINITELY don't want to be calling yourself a PE in that case

I wouldn't put PE until you get a license #

Because you call yourself a PE prior to that and get called on it...you don't have a license # somebody can look you up by.

passing the test does not make you a PE, it is a multiple step process. there are experience requirements that have to be met. Calling yourself a PE without the states license is a big no no. Several states let you take the test before the experience is gained so you DEFINITELY don't want to be calling yourself a PE in that case
Which states allow you to take the PE exam without the experience? I don't think there are any. All states require a set amount of experience even before applying for the exam. If you passed the PE in CA, but are working in WA, then you can still call yourself a PE, but not be able to certify drawings or documents in WA.

^winner winner. IL just started allowing you to take the PE exam whenever you want then apply for licensure once you have the required experience...not that I agree 100% with that approach but it is what it is.

My state has a license lookup online. It took all of 2 minutes to verify that I am no longer an EI and now a PE. With that info, you should be able to change your title.

Some states don't update that/give out numbers immediately following exam results being released.

Although my letter from the State says that I will be awarded a license upon passing the exam, and I'm antsy to add the letters to my signature, it's probably smart to wait until I have that number first.

I wouldn't put PE until you get a license #Because you call yourself a PE prior to that and get called on it...you don't have a license # somebody can look you up by.
This and this. PE means you are licensed in the state you practice and have a corresponding number for said license. There was a very similar discussion in this thread. Don't rush into it, it's only a matter of time for the title. The hard part is over if you passed.

Texas has already added the new PE's to the roster and assigned numbers (on the web site, just search). If you're in Texas, you can go ahead and order your stamp and be stamping next week (well, technically, you're supposed to submit the seal for approval and a photograph of yourself first, I think). :) Engineerseals.com is in Texas, so it's a very quick arrival (I think I got mine in 1 or 2 days, even with ground shipping).

I was notified that I passed PE exam of April in Washington states. How can I get my license number? NCEES result notification said that I will have wall certificate about 12 weeks later. So, should I wait until I receive the wall certificate to know my license number?

I believe the consensus is "it depends." ;)

Which states allow you to take the PE exam without the experience? I don't think there are any. All states require a set amount of experience even before applying for the exam. If you passed the PE in CA, but are working in WA, then you can still call yourself a PE, but not be able to certify drawings or documents in WA.
Actually, that's incorrect. You cannot identify yourself as an Engineer in any way, shape or form within a state you are not licensed in. If you are talking about a project OUT of state but have a license in YOUR state only, you can use the title Engineer.

That's why my official title at work is Project Manager - my license is in Washington, but I do not currently qualify in Oregon where I live and work. So business cards or memos/letters cannot have the title P.E. - in fact, I'm not even billed as an Engineer unless a project is in Washington.

So to clarify:

Licensed in home state: title P.E. can be used everywhere, but no stamp can be used in states not licensed.

Licensed in state other than home, but not home: title P.E. cannot be used, except in communications or documents pertaining to the state you have a license in.

YMMV. That's the relationship as I understand it between Oregon and Washington.

Nope. You could, in theory, fail the ethics exam. You are not a licensed engineer until your number has been registered.

Interesting...I wonder how long it will take LA to posts online. The email said if I haven't heard anything in 8 weeks to contact the board. I figure...I've waited all this time so a little longer won't hurt. I agree that the hardest part is over. Feels good to just BREATHE!!!!

I will need to ask how I need to handle my situation here. My firm is in Kentucky but I passed the exam in Illinois. I should qualify for my license in Illinois due to them counting my co-op experience + Master degree but I don't know if I will qualify in Kentucky.

^winner winner. IL just started allowing you to take the PE exam whenever you want then apply for licensure once you have the required experience...not that I agree 100% with that approach but it is what it is.
Is this something that just happend within the last month? Where are you guys seeing this?

Back