when does experience stop?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamgram

Reaction score
I started my first job in Engineering design Novermber 1st. The PE exam is at the end of October. If I reach the required number of years experience on November 1st, does this mean I will have to wait until April to take the test, because at the time of the test I am 1 week shy of the experience requirement?

I think it depends on the state. In my state the application does state that you have to have the required experience at the time you submit the application. If there isn't any indication on your application to the same effect then I'd say go ahead and submit it if you think you are close. The worst they can say is no. The application fee isn't that much is it?

In the state of Texas, you must have all of your required experience when you submit your application. That means for the October exam this year, you would need to have your experience completed by July 15, 2011. Call your state board, though. They will be able to give you the specifics for your state.

It depends on what your state board will accept. I believe that the experience component is a requirement for acceptance of the application which would mean the requirement would need to be satisfied when the application was submitted and reviewed as opposed to being completed by the day the exam is administered or after the exam is passed and prior to issuing a license.

Short answer is that I think you'd need to wait, but I could be wrong. Check with your state board for a definitive answer.

I started my first job in Engineering design Novermber 1st. The PE exam is at the end of October. If I reach the required number of years experience on November 1st, does this mean I will have to wait until April to take the test, because at the time of the test I am 1 week shy of the experience requirement?

In the state of Texas, you must have all of your required experience when you submit your application. That means for the October exam this year, you would need to have your experience completed by July 15, 2011. Call your state board, though. They will be able to give you the specifics for your state.
Virginia is the same. Experience is required to be complete when you submit the application.

If you did summer engineering work, you may be able to count some of that. And, what did you do prior to Nov 1? you may be able to count some of that. Otherwise, know that the application process can take a long time, so get started...

Back