MSCE or Engineering Management

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AyanHein

Reaction score
Hello

I'm a senior civil engineering student who is graduating this year. At the moment, i do not have any engineering internship or did not have any real internship experience before. Yes i am worried about myself not able to land a full time job by the end of my graduation.

Therefore, i plan to continue for graduate degree either Master in Civil Engineering (MSCE in Transportation) or Engineering Management (EM) unless i got a job right before my graduate school. But it's likely that i would have to go to graduate school and look for an internship.

I'm not too sure which degree would benefit me in the future for a civil engineer. I have asked a few working engineers and i have received same amount of answers for MSCE and Engineering Management degree. Some even tell me to go for Construction Management. Actually i do like both management and technical field, however, i have to go with one of the paths.

Usually people go for a degree which would benefit their current job, but since i am not working right now, it's hard for me to choose. Please advise as we have a lot of experienced engineers and managers on this forum.

I truly appreciate for your consideration.

That's the question of breadth vs. depth. I've been in management for 10 years, and lucked into it while in grad school.

What to do, what to do... I've had this discussion with myself since I graduated with my EE degree.

Some assorted thoughts...

You should like what you do. Figure out which you like best, and do that. Or, do whatever you can complete the quickest. Getting into management without being in management is a challenge. Or, look for a grad degree that you can change to part-time as soon as you find work. Or, look at certifications, like PMP/CAPM/Project+, or another industry cert, for the short term. Or, look at an MBA. Or, another undergrad degree. Maybe management undergrad would be quick and easy. Maybe math, or physics, or economics, or something.

Make sure you take and pass the FE.

Hello
I'm a senior civil engineering student who is graduating this year. At the moment, i do not have any engineering internship or did not have any real internship experience before. Yes i am worried about myself not able to land a full time job by the end of my graduation.

Therefore, i plan to continue for graduate degree either Master in Civil Engineering (MSCE in Transportation) or Engineering Management (EM) unless i got a job right before my graduate school. But it's likely that i would have to go to graduate school and look for an internship.

I'm not too sure which degree would benefit me in the future for a civil engineer. I have asked a few working engineers and i have received same amount of answers for MSCE and Engineering Management degree. Some even tell me to go for Construction Management. Actually i do like both management and technical field, however, i have to go with one of the paths.

Usually people go for a degree which would benefit their current job, but since i am not working right now, it's hard for me to choose. Please advise as we have a lot of experienced engineers and managers on this forum.

I truly appreciate for your consideration.
Move to where they are hiring and get a job. Then decide.

ayanhein, where u located? what school are you going to?
i just graduated in december 2010.
I'm in Southern California, and i would be getting my BS from Cal Poly Pomona, and also thinking to go to the same school for either MSCE or MEM or MBA.

That's the question of breadth vs. depth. I've been in management for 10 years, and lucked into it while in grad school. What to do, what to do... I've had this discussion with myself since I graduated with my EE degree.

Some assorted thoughts...

You should like what you do. Figure out which you like best, and do that. Or, do whatever you can complete the quickest. Getting into management without being in management is a challenge. Or, look for a grad degree that you can change to part-time as soon as you find work. Or, look at certifications, like PMP/CAPM/Project+, or another industry cert, for the short term. Or, look at an MBA. Or, another undergrad degree. Maybe management undergrad would be quick and easy. Maybe math, or physics, or economics, or something.

Make sure you take and pass the FE.
Cal Poly Pomona's graduate program is designed for full time working engineers who like to go part time school. All the graduate classes are offered in the evening 6-10pm once a week. So i can still continue the degree even if i got a full time job.

I agree that it's hard to get into management without having any management experience. But i don't want to be a technical design guy the rest of my life. I would like to go to management level one day. Right now, all i worry about is landing a full time job. A friend of mine landed a job at Edison, and they said they hired him because of his Engineering management degree. I understand every company has different regulations and different points of views on the Master degrees. I guess i'm one of those about-to-graduate students who can't find a job, so the graduate school would be my plan B.

i started a thread http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=15766

u know i had a buddy, graduated from CSULB w/3.8 gpa in construction management. worked for turner for 2 yrs got laid off in december 2010. he's sent out 200 resumes, used head hunters and still hasn't found anything. but he predicts the socal market will pick up within 6- 12 months, which to me makes a lot of sense.

u cud always try relocating to a different state as well.

I understand your concerns about landing a job and choosing the right degree. Here's my advice:

Master in Civil Engineering (MSCE): If you want to specialize in Transportation and focus on technical aspects of civil engineering, this could be a good choice.

Engineering Management (EM): If you enjoy both management and technical fields, this degree can help you develop leadership skills and work on big engineering projects.

Consider your long-term goals and which path aligns better with your interests. Remember, you can always specialize or pursue additional certifications later.

Back