Ordering from the factory versus buying off the lot

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
A few disclaimers up front:

1. I don't need to hear the "I'll never buy new" argument. I've lost that one here at the house.

2. Yes, I know the topic title sounds like we're ordering a woman; we're not.

Onto the actual question:

Okay, so my husband is looking at buying a new truck and he's got his heart set on the specs he's been pining over for months. Does anyone have any experience ordering a specific vehicle from the factory or from another dealer versus just buying off the lot?

Thanks in advance.

I usually buy new and the last three trucks I've owned have been either searched out from dealer inventory elsewhere or custom ordered. I tend to get exactly the vehicle I want and then run it until the wheels fall off or my needs change. They gave me all the dealer incentives that were current when I made the order and didn't give me any worse deal than they were giving for trucks on the lot. My truck is just over 12 years old at this point so my experience might not be all that relevant to how they do business today though. I was kicking around the idea of getting a new truck and was planning to custom order again. That idea got cancelled by a failing cam shaft in the expensive engine.

I ordered my first car from the factory. It was nice to get exactly what I wanted, but it was excruciating waiting for it to be delivered.

The second car, I bought directly off the lot because it had most of what I wanted, and not too much that I didn't want.

The third car, I had the local dealer do a regional search to find what I wanted. I actually walked out on one dealer because we couldn't make a deal on the price. I ended up buying the exact same car from a different local dealer. The car was shipped down from a dealership in Columbus.

The only problem with buying one off the lot or doing a regional search is that they almost all have shitty little options that raise the price unnecessarily (like air deflectors on a moon roof). They then use these little options during the dealing process to get more money. This is why my deal ended with the first dealer on the third car.

Buying from the factory has a similar problem. They are far less likely to drop the price much from MSRP if they are ordering it for you.

Dealerships are more flexible with prices for cars in stock. This is mostly due to the fact you will probably make some compromises in options and it may have test drive milage. If you have the dealership find it regionally, you may have to pay shipping costs plus you may end up paying a little more because the dealership knows its the car you want and will use that as a negotiation point. The price for a "found" car may be lower than an ordered one because it may have additional test drive miles. Then if you have it ordered, you know its exactly what you want and know that its not a test driver. Issues with ordering is that you may have to put a deposit down, will have to wait for it to be made, and you may be forced to sign a purchase agreement without even getting to see or test drive it.

Btw, I highly recommend test driving the exact car you will purchase before buying and not just basing your experience on a similar demo car. The best people to work with are typically the internet sales team. Start the process with a quick email explaining what you are looking for (without discussing price). Once you get to the negotiation table, be sure to negotiate all 4 aspects of the purchase independently in this order: trade in value, down payment, sale price of new car, then monthly payment. Following this, I have NEVER paid more than $500 over invoice (and Ive seen the invoice for each of them, including the Camaro).

I've bought 2 new cars off the lot and got exactly what I wanted. Never have really looked into ordering from the factory.

As a side note, I think the buying expereince of Hondas is underrated. Each trim level is an option set, so no mixing and matching. Makes it really easy to comparison shop. I think they've done a pretty good job at grouping options and have gotten about 99% of what I want in a car. It does limit choice a little; I wish I had a power lift gate on my Pilot, but I like it much better than trying to play the option game like you need to do with Fords or Chevys.

The worst option game I have ever seen is a Mini Cooper. There are so many freakin' options on those things, it almost impossible to compare two cars to each other. I think Scions are the same way, but I've never looked into them. There is such a thing as too many options.

Okay, so my husband is looking at buying a new truck and he's got his heart set on the specs he's been pining over for months. Does anyone have any experience ordering a specific vehicle from the factory or from another dealer versus just buying off the lot?
Let him buy it however he wants.

Even if its $500 more to order from the factory, if he is driving that thing for years, and always thinking "I could have had the **** thing the way I wanted it if she had not been such a b!o$h about it" or he could be driving with a smile thinking "This is my vehicle, and gosh darn it, people like me".

It's worth the money.

Where you live makes a big difference. If you are in a remote area, you may have to factory order to get anything not in the standard packages. I live in the Houston area, so there are hundreds of dealers with an hours drive, and I have always found a 98% or better match for what I wanted on someone's lot.

a dealer that sells NEW cars...who would have thought that.

The ford dealer in town has like a half dozen new cars, 3 trucks and a couple sedans. The rest of the lot is used cars and non-ford actually.

I havent ever ordered one from the factory, I would imagine the only downside would be your not going to be able to "haggle"

I havent ever ordered one from the factory, I would imagine the only downside would be your not going to be able to "haggle"
Yea, I imagine that the dealer would be pretty inflexible on price if they thought you had to have a specific car.

Ive thought it would be nice to be able to sort of have a real estate agent for your car, Id be willing to tell someone what I want, let them scour all the prices and haggling, pay them a fee and then just show up and write a check (assuming the total cost of the car included enough savings to offset the fee)

I hate haggling, especially with some two bit car salesman.. only time I really feel I got a good deal was I bought an old jeep off a dealers lot, I wrote him a check for about $2500 less than what was on the window and said take it or leave it...(inlcuding all the tax,tag,and title bullshit)

Yea, I imagine that the dealer would be pretty inflexible on price if they thought you had to have a specific car.
That's only true if you limit yourself to one dealer. A buddy of mine was working on a factory order truck and had two dealers competing for his business. This was in 1992 and he's still driving the truck. At least back then, you could improve the deal with a little leg work.

That's only true if you limit yourself to one dealer.
but you have even more bargaining power if you don't limit yourself to one dealer and you don't limit yourself to a specific car.

I find that you get the best deal when you don't convince yourself you need something specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive thought it would be nice to be able to sort of have a real estate agent for your car, Id be willing to tell someone what I want, let them scour all the prices and haggling, pay them a fee and then just show up and write a check (assuming the total cost of the car included enough savings to offset the fee)
This is, in fact, possible. My barber hired an auto broker to buy his latest pickup. Basically, he told the broker exactly what he wanted and how much he wanted to pay. The broker keeps track of all the auto auctions in the area and notified him when his truck came up for sale. It took a few months, and he paid the broker a few hundred dollars for his efforts ($600 if I recall correctly) but he ended up with exactly what he wanted and didn't have to spend lots of time and effort on the process.

A quick Google search turns up all kinds of info on auto brokers if you're interested.

That's only true if you limit yourself to one dealer.
but you have even more bargaining power if you don't limit yourself to one dealer and you don't limit yourself to a specific car.

I find that you get the best deal when you don't convince yourself you need something specific.
The internet has really changed car buying. I just bought a new car and got internet pricing for a number of dealers. Prices were below invoices and all within a couple hundred of each other. Picked the color, walked into the dealership, test drove, said we take it for the internet price, walked out an hour later with the car.

Felt I got a good deal and didn't have to haggle though dealt with email/phone calls from all the other dealers for a couple of weeks.

Let him buy it however he wants.
Even if its $500 more to order from the factory, if he is driving that thing for years, and always thinking "I could have had the **** thing the way I wanted it if she had not been such a b!o$h about it" or he could be driving with a smile thinking "This is my vehicle, and gosh darn it, people like me".

It's worth the money.
He's asked for help from me, because he's horrible at haggling. I'm the better person when it comes to buying things that don't have a set price. That's why I'm trying to figure out how it will go for me to negotiate a price on a specific vehicle versus one off the lot. Otherwise, he panics and gives them too much money and doesn't get what he wants. It really works out better this way.

So, I'm not a bitch...I'm just helpful :)

And thanks for all the help from everybody! I'm getting a better feel for it and I think I might go the internet route. We have a few options for dealers, so I know we don't have to go with the local one. I usually prefer local if I can go that route, but we're not willing to pay way more money for that.

The biggest negotiation tool the consumer has is choice. If you are willing/able to walk away from ANY car (including the perfect car) because the deal isn't where you want it, you will have a leg up.

When I bought the Camaro, it had all the options I wanted but the price wasn't right. We talked for about an hour as to ways to get the price down (increased down payment, lowered interest rate, longer finance term, additional discounts, etc). When I drew my line in the sand in that I wasn't going to increase my down payment and I wasnt going to finanance it forever and they said they wouldn't drop the price any more, I kindly asked for my keys back on the car I was trading in and walked out. My wife and I made it as far as the front door before they came back and said they could do it.

I've had dealers I've walked out on call me later that afternoon or even the next day saying they had new "options."

That's where my husband struggles...he just wants the new truck so badly he forgets that he doesn't have to buy it. He came with me when I bought my car and I was shocked when he agreed at the first price they brought out. I said no deal and worked them down another $4K after that plus 0% financing.

The biggest negotiation tool the consumer has is choice. If you are willing/able to walk away from ANY car (including the perfect car) because the deal isn't where you want it, you will have a leg up.
When I bought the Camaro, it had all the options I wanted but the price wasn't right. We talked for about an hour as to ways to get the price down (increased down payment, lowered interest rate, longer finance term, additional discounts, etc). When I drew my line in the sand in that I wasn't going to increase my down payment and I wasnt going to finanance it forever and they said they wouldn't drop the price any more, I kindly asked for my keys back on the car I was trading in and walked out. My wife and I made it as far as the front door before they came back and said they could do it.

I've had dealers I've walked out on call me later that afternoon or even the next day saying they had new "options."
Me too. We were buying the new family truckster, and trading in the old family truckster, and while we were signing the contracts they told us they needed more down payment for the terms that they had previously agreed upon...We told them, thanks, but no thanks, got ready to leave, and the money man basically said, wait never mind we can get everything done for the original terms...

I think the other thing that REALLY helps is to wait until the end of the month when they are looking at their quotas and inventory...much more likely to make a deal then.

Back