Confidence up & down!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrf500

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this issue....but my confidence in whether I'll pass the April exam or not has been all over the place. There are days I think I nailed it and am just waiting for the pass letter, then there are days I'm certain I failed and feel that I might as well start studying again. I've honestly talked myself into believing both sides many times now. I know none of it matters really, just have to wait for the results....but it's a weird thing I've noticed.

Also, the first week or so waiting for results sucked....then it got better for a few weeks and I barely thought about it. Now it's back on my mind again. I guess just another part of my mind that's all over the place!

Well, good luck to all who are waiting on results. Also, good luck to all who are starting to think about prepping for the October exam (I hope this is a different group of people entirely from the group that's waiting on results!!).

Take care all and I hope you hear good news soon!

It does get worse, only because you start really knowing results are almost out and other states start getting results. However, here's the deal- don't study. Unless you guessed on the entire exam, you just don't know and you probably passed, but you're just doubting because you can't know and now you're forgetting the exam. DON'T STUDY. Even if you failed (fingers crossed you didn't), you'll have plenty of time to study. Relax, enjoy life, it'll be okay :)

Guys, I know exactly how you are feeling. I failed the April 2010 exam and passed the October 2010 exam and both times waiting for the results were nerve wrecking. What I can tell you is that the second time, I had confidence I did better than the first time so it made me forget about the exam up until the last month waiting. I agree with others to enjoy this time off. Do not study, relax, catch up with friends and family, and focus on work ;) If you don't pass this time, don't worry, there's always a next time. I people who have taken it more than 5 times and are still going for it. I admire their determination and one day they will pass. I had a friend who took the CPA exam a total of 16 times to pass all four exams.....so don't worry guys, if you keep trying...you will pass.

And trust me, getting that PASS letter has got to be one of the top happiest moments in your life ;)

Guys, I know exactly how you are feeling. I failed the April 2010 exam and passed the October 2010 exam and both times waiting for the results were nerve wrecking. What I can tell you is that the second time, I had confidence I did better than the first time so it made me forget about the exam up until the last month waiting. I agree with others to enjoy this time off. Do not study, relax, catch up with friends and family, and focus on work ;) If you don't pass this time, don't worry, there's always a next time. I people who have taken it more than 5 times and are still going for it. I admire their determination and one day they will pass. I had a friend who took the CPA exam a total of 16 times to pass all four exams.....so don't worry guys, if you keep trying...you will pass.

And trust me, getting that PASS letter has got to be one of the top happiest moments in your life ;)

Personally, I found that I was very confident when I first left the exams (both PE and FE), and then as time passed I became less and less confident. The first week or so after each exam was pretty easy, but by the time I got the results I was incredibly nervous - the more so because I found out that a friend of mine had failed to pass his (CA-specific) exam.

Yes...this is totally normal. I felt pretty good after the exam but the more I thought about the problems the more I convinced myself I got them all wrong. There is not much you can do at this point. The waiting stinks but weeks before the results come out you will be a wreck. And this board will be buzzing with anticipation. When you get that passing letter and read those first few words that say "Congratulations..." you will be on a high for weeks. I think I was more excited knowing I didn't have to go through all that again.

In my opinion, what's on your mind the first week is what truely reflects of what you think it is. After that you kinda "perhaps this" or "perhaps that".

Good luck to you all!

no results are out yet. she is just referring to the situation where the person waiting is not in a state that released their results right away. so there are people finding out and you are stuck still waiting.

I'm with you!!! I've been a wreck ever since the exam. It's gotten a little bit easier as time has passed; however, I know I will get nervous again at the beginning of June when results are starting to be released. I've gone back and forth convincing myself of both outcomes. It's good to hear that I'm not alone in this! Most of the other examinees from my office seem confident while I'm fretting the worst. Good luck to you!

For the FE I took it for the first time after being out of school for 7 years, pretty much cold with very little preparation. I walked into it thinking I was going to get slaughtered, and I walked out astonished and supremely confident, and I ended up passing.

For the PE last month, I walked in a little more confident and walked out with sort of muted feelings, i felt it could go either way for me (took Mechanical/HVAC) I am feeling a little better a month later, but my anxiety seems to be building the past few days. I'd like it to be over, and done with. I don't know if I can sit through it again. I spent Waaaaay more time preparing for the PE, even though a lot people told me it would be easier (especially since I didn't take the FE in school)

I walked out of the room feeling very confident so the first couple of weeks wasn't too bad. Then you sort of forget about it. Then someone asks how you did on that test that you were preparing for forever and it's back in your mind, but you can't quite remember the questions and start to doubt yourself. A few days pass. Then repeat, each time questioning a little more. Of course work has been doing a great job of keeping me so preoccupied that I don't have time to think about the results! :juggle:

I'm on pins and needles.......the first thing I look at when I log onto this board is the "PE RESULTS" Section - just waiting to see a new thread reporting so-and-so's results. I know its sooo early to be amped up and nervous about it - but I am!

I know what you guys are going through. There was a state website that shows the listing of all the licensed engineers and I use to check that site to see if my name was on it before the results were released. Such torture! But don't worry....it soon will be over. Good luck guys!

I know what you guys are going through. There was a state website that shows the listing of all the licensed engineers and I use to check that site to see if my name was on it before the results were released. Such torture! But don't worry....it soon will be over. Good luck guys!

Back