McDonald's Revamps Stores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I'm not sure how well this will work out for them...

McDonald's is looking less like McDonald's and more like Starbucks.
At a time when most of McDonald's competitors are still shell-shocked from the recent recession, the fast-food giant is undertaking its biggest store-by-store makeover in the chain's 56-year history: The 500-pound clown of fast food is trying to look more like a grown-up.

It's a $1 billion-plus undertaking that McDonald's and its franchisees hope, by 2015, will have the vast majority of America's 14,000 McDonald's looking comfortable enough to hang out in long after you've gobbled down your burger, fries - and smoothie.

For the next generation of McDonald's customers, the notion of what a McDonald's restaurant looks like inside and out could be turned on its head. Goodbye, fiberglass tables and industrial steel chairs. Adios, neon-yellow, bright-red interiors. Hello, wooden tables, comfortable faux leather chairs and interiors newly painted in muted oranges, yellows and even subtle greens.
More at: http://www.wltx.com/news/article/135960/2/...ok-More-Upscale

The phrase "you cant polish a turd" comes to mind.

Something about going to an "upscale" facility is lost when you order from a dollar menu...

will have the vast majority of America's 14,000 McDonald's looking comfortable enough to hang out in long after you've gobbled down your burger, fries - and smoothie.
From a businees perspective, why would you want people to "hang out" at your place? They aren't going to buy more food. It's not a bar. I'd want them to come in, eat, and get out to make room for the next paying customer to sit down.

The phrase "you cant polish a turd" comes to mind.
Something about going to an "upscale" facility is lost when you order from a dollar menu...
1) I like the dolar menu. It's a pretty good buy.

2) "upscale" is a relative term. I don't believe McD's is trying to compete with Del Frisco's but there's nothing wrong with getting rid of the industrial look.

Just like people that think Starbuck's is better than Dunkin' Donuts because you get to pay $4 for a coffee. If you pay more, it must be better.

(I like lattes)

What is Del Friscos? Do we have them around here?

People hanging around are more likely to buy another item I guess. :dunno: But yeah I agree with you, high turnover is key to fast food joints.

I don't drink coffee, but there are any number of examples where you are paying more for simply the brand name and perceived value.

I wish they remodeled the mcDonalds to include playplaces...at least for those along the highway. If you aren't stopping at a designated rest stop, with grassy area to run, having a place to let kids strecth and play is a good thing.

will have the vast majority of America's 14,000 McDonald's looking comfortable enough to hang out in long after you've gobbled down your burger, fries - and smoothie.
From a businees perspective, why would you want people to "hang out" at your place? They aren't going to buy more food. It's not a bar. I'd want them to come in, eat, and get out to make room for the next paying customer to sit down.
That's kinda my take on the whole thing. They are doing a complete 180 on a policy that has worked pretty well for them so far.

I also think losing a look that is appealing to children is another bad move. I read someplace that they get a large percentage of sales from parents coming in to appease their children.

I'm no marketting genius, but this seems to have fail written all over it to me.

the seating at the new mcdonalds are very uncomfortable. It really is more about the higher turnover. Uncomfortable seat will discourage hanging out therefore makign room for more people.

Great, so they are changing the way it looks, but that doesn't change the people coming in.

Stopped by a McD's this weekend with wifey, MIL, and mini-mizzou as we were starving. As we are eating a family walks in with 5 kids, each with an article of clothing missing, one without shoes (but in socks) , the other without a shirt, one barefoot, one with jorts (missing pant legs), and a baby in nothing but a diaper. Mind you its 70 degrees outside, so not swampass alert time.

Now, imagine them, inside a swanky "starbucks-wannabe" McD's and getting all cushy in those pleather sofas.

I've been in one of the already remodeled McDonalds in Virginia Beach. It was nice, but it didn't make me enjoy their food more. I didn't make me more likely to eat there. I question their motivations.

Great, so they are changing the way it looks, but that doesn't change the people coming in.
Stopped by a McD's this weekend with wifey, MIL, and mini-mizzou as we were starving. As we are eating a family walks in with 5 kids, each with an article of clothing missing, one without shoes (but in socks) , the other without a shirt, one barefoot, one with jorts (missing pant legs), and a baby in nothing but a diaper. Mind you its 70 degrees outside, so not swampass alert time.

Now, imagine them, inside a swanky "starbucks-wannabe" McD's and getting all cushy in those pleather sofas.
Wal-Martians...

or that's a different thread isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If there were no McDonalds then how would most Democrats feed their families?

What is Del Friscos? Do we have them around here?
Del Frisco's is a high-end steak house (like Morton's). they just (as in within the past month) opened one on Liberty Wharf overlooking the Harbor (near the Seaport World Trade Center and Bank of America Pavilion). I have not been to the Boston one but have been tio the one in NYC a couple of times. You should take the wife to a show at the Pavilion and have dinner there beforehand.

Del Frisco's - Boston

I wish they remodeled the mcDonalds to include playplaces...at least for those along the highway. If you aren't stopping at a designated rest stop, with grassy area to run, having a place to let kids strecth and play is a good thing.
We've got a couple of them with playplaces around here. I always hated the dang things because hanging around a McD's is not my idea of a good time. Eat and get out.

Back