Oil Prices Tumble

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lower crude prices usually translate into lower gasoline prices, but the effect is delayed.
This was my thought before reading it. The stuff at the pump today is not the less expensive stuff taken out of the ground yesterday. It needs to be packaged, shipped, and processed first.

The problem is that the gas prices will rise as quickly as the oil prices do, but once the oil prices drop the gas seems to lag behind a bit.

The problem is that the gas prices will rise as quickly as the oil prices do, but once the oil prices drop the gas seems to lag behind a bit.
I'd be fine with a lag, but that's the biggest overnight jump in more than a month.

+1

“Consumers don’t understand that the supply chain for gasoline is weeks long…”

But there’s an earthquake in Japan and prices go up THAT DAY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's how I understand gas vs oil prices.

They parallel for a little while until an event happens. Gas spikes that day, but oil takes a few days before it goes up. Oil prices start to rise, justifying a further increase in gas prices. Eventually, oil prices peak and start to fall again. Citing a lag in production/stock on hand prices, gas stations maintain their prices (maybe a little fall). Meanwhile, oil prices have fallen, which eventually the news becomes more "common knowledge" forcing the gas prices to fall and eventually even out again (at least until the next event).

The part that pisses me off is the scaling effect of each event. For example, Lybia is responsible for 5% of world oil production, however when they went through their recent/current period of unrest, gas prices escalated from ~$2.50 to ~$4.00. I need an explaination as to why a 5% supply is responsible for a 60% price increase, other than the r-tards on Wall Street and their knee jerk over-reactions.

Here's a quick MS paint graph:

ngnrd said:
The sad part is that the cost of oil production is basically the same from day to day. It's the idiot speculators that keep jacking with the value.

This is true, the average cost to get a barrel of oil to the surface is between $5-$10. It can be higher though for tar sands (like in Canada) or off-shore...break even prices for most O&G companies is about $35-45/barrel, at least that's the target that most use for planning.

ours went up too i purposely try to avoid looking at the price part when I an pumping. I use at least 4 gals a day to get to/from work. It is was it is and I can't change my gas consumption even a job change wouldn't do it.

I also have a short commute. I fill up once about every 3 weeks, so even when gas goes up, it doesn't affect my monthly expenses by enough for me to get upset about.

We're at $4.86 here. You guys are finally catching up to us...

We're at $4.86 here. You guys are finally catching up to us...
Oh no! Gas is even more expensive in the future!

Wait, is that not what you meant by catching up?

I started walking/riding my bike to work too, for a few days at least. Short commute, but it raises lots of questions at work..."You WALKED here?!" It's like I said I teleported.

Back