Workplace Suggestions ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALBin517

Reaction score
If you could initiate one simple, logical change at your workplace, what would it be?

oh that would require some thinking...there are so many things to choose from. All of which would incurr the rath of the union and or management...who would i want to piss off more!!!

-

Last edited by a moderator:
This one simple change would provide benefit only to me...being able to work from home a couple days a week.

Our clerk religiously goes on the mail run to the local post office about 9am each day. But the local USPS processes the mail between 9am and 11am. So most of the time, we get mail a day late. People will “next day” stuff to us on Thursday but we won’t get it until Monday… later if Monday is a holiday.

She could move the daily mail run back an hour and it would not be an issue but “that is the time I always go.”

getting rid of the florescent lighting would be my second small change, but again it only benefits me.

We all follow our own rules and stop letting things bypass the processes.

I'd like there to be the same set of rules for everyone (in the dept. and between departments)... no creation of rules to suit individuals... no "interpreting" of existing rules to avoid being in the wrong... just call a spade a spade... if we're not allowed to use sick and annual on the same day, then don't let one employee do it if you won't let me... if someone isn't doing what they should 90% of the time, write them up, don't let it slide, and definitely don't yell at me for spending 5 or 10 minutes out of my day talking to coworkers...

only 5-10 minutes a day...there are people here that only do 5-10 minutes of work then socialize the rest of the day...then complain they have so much work do and couldn't possibly spend the 5 minutes to look through their shelves for a document.

I'd like there to be the same set of rules for everyone (in the dept. and between departments)... no creation of rules to suit individuals... no "interpreting" of existing rules to avoid being in the wrong... just call a spade a spade... if we're not allowed to use sick and annual on the same day, then don't let one employee do it if you won't let me... if someone isn't doing what they should 90% of the time, write them up, don't let it slide, and definitely don't yell at me for spending 5 or 10 minutes out of my day talking to coworkers...

Girls here frequently wear sandals and tops that don't have sleeves. So I have been trying to talk our inspector (6-2, 300#) into reporting for work in flip-flops and a cut-sleeve shirt (ala Larry the Cable Guy). Maybe this will be the summer I finally sweeten the pot enough to get him to do it. I think I was up to a case of PBR by the end of last summer.

An IT department that is worth a ****...

One of our dept managers got tired of always feeling like last priority with IT so he went ahead and told the IT manager: "eff u. I don't need your help and I don't want to see you in my department again."

We have windows but upper management decided our department's windows should not open, "to promote efficiency." So when it's 75 degrees and the furnace is running for no particular reason, we really appreciate looking over to see the row of manager windows, open as wide as they can go.

Sounds like I'm missing a good time.

Back