Engineering, surveying April 2011

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpatique

Reaction score
I wonder what are the feedback on the surveying exam. 50 questions this time around and obviously I did not have enough time to finish 30 of them. I have yet to see the feedback on the subject

I wonder what are the feedback on the surveying exam. 50 questions this time around and obviously I did not have enough time to finish 30 of them. I have yet to see the feedback on the subject

Why would it be obvious that you didn't have enough time to finish 30?

listen you jack ass ! Unless you have a constructive thing to say , I suggest you keep it to yourslef . You know nothing about me so maybe you should sustain from making ass- umptions and stick to what you know ~

listen you jack ass ! Unless you have a constructive thing to say , I suggest you keep it to yourslef . You know nothing about me so maybe you should sustain from making ass- umptions and stick to what you know ~
Calm down simpatique. This is just a message board.

The surveying exam historically a fast paced exam. When I took it I also felt like they did not give you enough time to answer the questions.

The rule on this exam is that you must know the material so well that you won't even have to think on how to solve a problem. Even then, you'll still have to guess on a few at the end.

I don't believe anyone is truly prepared for the seismic and surveying exams due to the pace that you must answer the questions. You have 3 minutes per question and that goes by quickly. There's no time to relax. Also, those exams are taken the day after the PE exam where you have 6 minutes a question and that's intense on its own.

However, the reassuring thing about the exam is that you really need about 33 correct answers and you have a strong chance of passing. I knew that having 40 correct answers would guarantee a pass, so I kept that in mind when taking the exam.

Why are you so rude, simpatique?! I took PE 3 times, and last time, thinking to be prepared very well, didn't know some of the answers. It doesn't make me to be that rude to these who said that this past test was easy. It was too hard for me. You have to keep your temper to yourself, it just a discussion board. :dancingnaughty:

I understand your frustrations simpa but try not to let it get the best of you. I too feel the exam was extremely difficult and I feel a lot of us are in the same boat. It was my first time taking it but the 8 hour and seismic seemed like a breeze in comparison. The crazy thing was that I focused on survey more than all of the other exams and that's the one I felt the most uncomfortable about.

Looking back, with all of the problems and books I read to prepare for survey, I feel that about 20-25% of that exam was just plain un-preparable. I feel you have to kinda adjust mid exam and roll with the punches. I just tried to keep my speed up and pick the questions I knew I could answer in 2 mins or less then go back to the long ones.

In the end I feel confident on about 25 of the questions and semi confident on about 30 total. I hope that's enough but you never know...

I hope you and everyone in here did well and I wish you guys the best!!

I don't believe anyone is truly prepared for the seismic and surveying exams due to the pace that you must answer the questions. You have 3 minutes per question and that goes by quickly. There's no time to relax. Also, those exams are taken the day after the PE exam where you have 6 minutes a question and that's intense on its own.
However, the reassuring thing about the exam is that you really need about 33 correct answers and you have a strong chance of passing. I knew that having 40 correct answers would guarantee a pass, so I kept that in mind when taking the exam.
on the surveying , this time around it was less than 3 min. per question. I apologize for my transgression but I felt that I was being attacked . Hence , my initial reply

I agree wit you completely , 25 % of the test was unpreparable . Thank you for the encouraging words , it was exactly what I was looking for on here.

Why are you so rude, simpatique?! I took PE 3 times, and last time, thinking to be prepared very well, didn't know some of the answers. It doesn't make me to be that rude to these who said that this past test was easy. It was too hard for me. You have to keep your temper to yourself, it just a discussion board. Hdancingnaughty:
hey, I was being attacked. I studied hard for the test . I really did not appreciate someone I do not know questioning my competence . I am sure you would not like it either.

Is that 33/50 when you have a good chance of passing ? Because the last two times I've taken the exam the total numbers of questions were 46 questions.

Is that 33/50 when you have a good chance of passing ? Because the last two times I've taken the exam the total numbers of questions were 46 questions.
There should be 50 questions in both the seismic and surveying exams. 50 questions in 2.5 hours is 3 minutes per question.

Can someone else concur?

There should be 50 questions in both the seismic and surveying exams. 50 questions in 2.5 hours is 3 minutes per question.

Can someone else concur?
There are 50 questions on both, but they always end up throwing out a few questions every test cycle. They may be unsolvable, or something along those lines.

Why are you so rude, simpatique?! I took PE 3 times, and last time, thinking to be prepared very well, didn't know some of the answers. It doesn't make me to be that rude to these who said that this past test was easy. It was too hard for me. You have to keep your temper to yourself, it just a discussion board. Hdancingnaughty:
hey, I was being attacked. I studied hard for the test . I really did not appreciate someone I do not know questioning my competence . I am sure you would not like it either.

I was not attacking you at all. You said it was obvious that you only got to 30. I was merely pointing out that, no, it is not obvious to us unless you tell us. How would we know you only got to 30 unless you tell us? There is still a good chance you did o.k. No one can get to all 50 given the time restraints. When I passed, I "felt good" about 32 of the 50, "felt o.k." about another 9 or so and guessed the rest. If you look at the historic passing score (back when the state used to post them), the passing score was about a 60%. Good luck.

Can someone else concur?

There are 50 questions on the CA Survey and the CA Seismic.

It was an intense test. My target was to get at least 45 questions right. But that did not happen. Some problems that I left to work at the end did not get done. I guessed 7 questions. I hope I passed but only God knows.

However, the CA board should change the name of the test from Engineering Surveying to " California Transportation and Land Development Engineering Test". Please Board stop misleading and misrepresenting about the test!!!!

Simpa,

Relax B,

almost all people who attempt surveying have problems dealing with the exam..

i don't know if you noticed or what but the questions from circles,vertical and horizontal anlong with some other chapterslike area and volume, topography and horizontal distance measurements were almost the same what we have got in Mnasour and reza's work book. i hope you pass this time( i hope to pass this time too...) but worst come scenario say you don't pass i would say stick with mansour and reza.....best......

This was a tough survey exam, no two ways about it, once again I think I did good but no way to tell. I really had a hard time understanding some of the questions and that hurt me time wise. Seemel like more calculation problems this test as well so time was a real issue.

Good luck everyone.

does anyone know how many questions you usually need to get right to pass??
If memory serves, in past years I've heard that you need to get somewhere in the order of 60% of the questions right to pass and that the pass rate is around 40%.

Back