April 2011 exam stories

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
Anything fun and exciting happen at you test site? from a post I read it sounds like the answer is yes. please share!!

Salem Oregon,

After lunch, the few hundred or so of us are all lined up waiting for the doors to open and let us back into the building. The mood is fairly somber, tense - you probably know the picture. Lot of people still carrying the books they did some last minute studying with at lunch.

This old guy walks up to me in the line and asks if we're going in to see a concert. I'm thinking, yeah - Party on! He seemed a little incredulous that we were just writing an exam.

There was an ejection during my exam at a table next to me. Nobody, including the guy sharing the table, had a clue what had happened, so I don't think it was anything blatant like a cell phone going off or having some other kind of recording device. Speculation only gets one so far, but nothing seemed to be up until it happened.

I should've guessed something was wrong when the police officer started moseying down our aisle and stopped a table away while the proctor spoke to the test-taker. The person first acted shocked and then you could see the anger start. The pencil was thrown down and there was definitely a loud packing-up of test materials. If the proctor hadn't been a little, old lady, librarian type, there may have been even more aggression. But it was definitely surprising and I definitely felt bad for the person.

Does anybody know, if you're dismissed from the PE, are you able to take it in the future?

:thumbs: Guys just wait ...still long way to go for see the results come up

One of my proctors was pretty freaking hot. After everything was collected and we were dismissed, at the door she said "I never want to see any of you guys again, ok?" I said, "I might come back just to see you again." :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing we had was a little argument between the test takers and the proctors in the beginning.

In Illinois you aren't allowed to have any practice tests or solution guides and the proctor was going to allow them. Other than that nothing exciting.

One of my proctors was pretty freaking hot. After everything was collected and we were dismissed, at the door she said "I never want to see any of you guys again, ok?" I said, "I might come back just to see you again." :p
You're lucky. Just about every proctor at my test had one foot in the grave. I don't think any of them were under 80 yrs old.

We had Edna and Gert at my exam too back in the day.
What did you folks do for lunch? It's a major topic around here.

Back in my day, I flew through the morning - first person done by a wide margin.

I drove into town, got my oil changed and got food. Then I started worrying about car trouble on the way back so I was back to the college before the lunch hour STARTED.

In hindsight, I should have paced myself better... passed first try though.

mroning was easy to medium, finished early but checked out all myanswers. I did solve all the problems slowly to make sure my solns make sense, but found couple of problems which cant be solve no matter how hard I check them.

afternoon medium to difficult still finished early and checked some answers, what confuses me was NCEES made questions which were code dependent and when I go through the code they dont agree.

lunchtime I tried to relax there is no point of studying I need to add more energy and reserve mental alertness.

good luck everyone.

A guy in my exam had a near meltdown because he was told that he was using a non-conforming calculator. Luckily for him, someone had an extra that he was able to borrow in the morning, but he proceeded to yell at the proctor that his calculator was just a typical solar one and there was no camera on it. I don't know about anybody else, but for me the first thing that I did was to ensure I had the correct calculator so I was able to study with it and be comfortable with it by exam day. Over lunch, he went to Wal-Mart and bought a new calculator and was pretty vocal about it.

A guy in my exam had a near meltdown because he was told that he was using a non-conforming calculator. Luckily for him, someone had an extra that he was able to borrow in the morning, but he proceeded to yell at the proctor that his calculator was just a typical solar one and there was no camera on it. I don't know about anybody else, but for me the first thing that I did was to ensure I had the correct calculator so I was able to study with it and be comfortable with it by exam day. Over lunch, he went to Wal-Mart and bought a new calculator and was pretty vocal about it.
Funny, but I had my Ti-89 in the CA Seismic Exam and the proctor questioned me about it. I brought the state specific test allowable calculator list with me and showed her that it was ok.

You're lucky. Just about every proctor at my test had one foot in the grave. I don't think any of them were under 80 yrs old.
Same thing in CA. I'm pretty sure one of my proctors knew Isaac Newton back when he only had a first law and went by "Ike".

Baton Rouge- Louisiana

The fire alarm went off in the morning but no one moved. A proctor left the room and about two minutes later it turned off.

This guy was really lucky that he got a proctor to ask around for him, and he was still PO'ed. I can't expect the people who don't read the instructions, have a clue what they are doing when it comes to the actual exam.

I just took it for the 2nd time in NH. First time a 70 year old chubbly lady blatantly farted as she passed me (in the tennis courts in milford).

This time my Procter was hot, and didn't pass gas.

One of the proctors, told us (he is a Professional Engr in Canada) that after the PE exam, the week after, hes gonna be part of the meeting with NCEES to make some problems for FE/PE exams, I answered, no wonder the exams administered was so hard because of you.

Back