SE 2-day

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
I would love for someone to comment on their experience of taking the 2-day SE exam. Please tell us the main issues that you dealt with such as: 1) time management, 2) level of difficulty compared to SE II and SE III, 3) anything helpful that would not be seen as breaking the honor code of collusion.

Thanks!

I would love for someone to comment on their experience of taking the 2-day SE exam. Please tell us the main issues that you dealt with such as: 1) time management, 2) level of difficulty compared to SE II and SE III, 3) anything helpful that would not be seen as breaking the honor code of collusion.
Thanks!
After taking 16 hours of examinations....my brain is still fried on Monday.

In my mind, Time Management was a key ingredient. With the vast amount of material that could have been put on these exams, it was near impossible to be prepared for every single question that one would face. Therefore, for those problems that you got "stuck" on, you had to decide to move on and come back to it later. A typical approach to the SE exam, just is as employed in the PE exams. It is VERY easy to make simple mistakes and miss obvious things when you are rushing to finish. I found this even more harsh when you are rushing to finish essay questions....its not as simple as taking a 25% guess at a multiple choice question. I stayed the entire 4 hours and worked down to the last minute for both morning sessions and both afternoon sessions. The afternoon essay questions were quite time consuming since you had to show all of your work. I mismanaged my time badly for the Vertical loads essay problems and found myself scrambling to get work done on many of the problems at the end. I was much better time managed on the lateral loads afternoon session, but that was due to the fact that I was more comfortable with the questions.....not that I knew how to do all of them, but had an idea on most of them and gave it my best shot.

Overall, I felt decent after both morning sessions and the Saturday afternoon session. I am hoping to at least pass one if not both.....but as we all know....its hard to judge how we really did. I am just gonna give it to God and hope for the best. It was quite an experience that I can honestly say I hope not to repeat. I definitely don't want to take back to back exams again. So, I hope I pass at least one!

Hey Juice, what's your background? Are you facilities, tower, bridge? I am a little worried about bridge design and was wondering your assessment of difficulty (of course it's relative).

Hey Juice, what's your background? Are you facilities, tower, bridge? I am a little worried about bridge design and was wondering your assessment of difficulty (of course it's relative).
My background is more in industrial structures and marine facilities design. I took the Building Essay Afternoon sessions. I neglected to mention that in the original post. I haven't used AASHTO heavily in practice but I am familiar with it (albeit versions prior to the 2007 edition). However I was not familiar enough (or comfortable enough) to have ventured into taking the Bridges Essay Afternoon sessions.

I felt about the same. The mornings were not so bad, but the afternoons were long. I just really hope they do not penalize me for poor penmanship.

Honestly, I thought both the morning and afternoon questions were fairly balanced. Morning questions on the vertical portion seemed almost too easy - but in reality, they left just enough time to not feel rushed towards the end, I walked out during the lunch break wondering how many "easy and wrong" solution bubbles I filled in. Afternoon vertical had a good mix of some straight-forward and interesting problems. One thing I definitely realized, is that it pays to turn the page to make sure you are getting the full picture. Not doing that, forced me to backtrack a little bit and have to pick up the speed later on. Morning lateral was, in my opinion, somewhat more difficult than the morning vertical, though it was fair and definitely not impossible. Afternoon lateral required some tricks to speed up the process, but I thought it was a well thought out problem set. I was finishing up the last section of the last problem when the instructor announced "You now have 1 minute". By pencils down on Saturday afternoon, I felt pretty good about the exam as a whole. Not knowing what to expect, I was really expecting the absolute worst and it turned out to be much more reasonable then I ever would have hoped for. I definitely used every minute of each 4 hour section. There were not too many "squirrely" questions or "poorly worded time sucks" as some of my peers thought would be peppered throughout - being a new exam. You could tell NCEES is taking this exam seriously and I say kudos to them! I took the Building module and the girl sitting in front of me was taking the Bridge module. She also seemed to be pretty satisfied with the quality of questions and the amount of time they required. Then again Bridge had 3 problems, Building had 4 so I am not sure how that works out. I was told by one of the proctors that 30 people took the SE Friday exam (we were mixed in with the PEs) and only 12 of us masochists took the Saturday exam (we were mixed in with the FEs) here in Denver.

What I would like to know if those that took the 16 hour exam felt it to be a better format than the previous Structural I and II format, talking to people that took the previous format but didnt pass. Also did the NCEES new study material really prepare you?

I pretty much agree with what has already been said. Time management is the key for the exam. I would say it was a challenging test. It wasn't over the top hard, but it was fair. The sample test the NCEES put out is a pretty accurate representation of what you can expect. I never took the SE 1 or 2, so I can't compare it to them. I just hope I passed because I don't want to do that again.

Wait a sec - I didn't realize you were taking the new SE Ble?

I thought you were already PE'ed up?

Did you go civil/structural to straight structural?

I'm probably going to do the civil/env-wr once I finish my MBA since the way my career has gone has been more towards site civil than hardcore envl.

Wait a sec - I didn't realize you were taking the new SE Ble?
I thought you were already PE'ed up?

Did you go civil/structural to straight structural?

I'm probably going to do the civil/env-wr once I finish my MBA since the way my career has gone has been more towards site civil than hardcore envl.
Yea, I took the civil-structural in October 09 to get my PE. I decided to give the SE a go this time around since it was still based on the same codes I used for the PE. Does it matter for you if you get the civil PE vs. the Envl one? I guess it depends on the state, but I wasn't sure what the distinction was.

I took the gravity load exam only. I was sure that my brain could not sustain the double dose 8x2 hours exam. In fact by the afternoon around 3:00 I started asking what I was doing there.

Anyway, I agree with what has been said so far. Friday morning was pretty straight forward, though I don't know how much I got right or wrong. Afternoon was a little more challenging but doable. Time was of essence.

I took Oct 2010 Structural-I, if i remember correct, there were lot of questions based on AASHTO (i guess approx. 50% in both am and pm). I just want to know whether it was the same on both morning sessions in Apr 2011....i'm just curious :).

To all those who can recall the morning session, do they feel that the 6-minute solutions structural problems published by PPI are adequate preparation for the gravity portion? How about the lateral morning portion?

Yes... I have the NCEES sample problems and solutions, but I also want further study.

Thanks!

To all those who can recall the morning session, do they feel that the 6-minute solutions structural problems published by PPI are adequate preparation for the gravity portion? How about the lateral morning portion?
Yes... I have the NCEES sample problems and solutions, but I also want further study.

Thanks!
Yes. I used them and the morning sessions didn't seem too bad. Finished early on both. Treating all multiple choice problems you work on as 6 minutes per problem is good practice for getting used to the pressure of keeping on track in the exam. Also, chapter 8 of the SERM was adequate for the lateral AM, but not the vertical AM, IMO. I hope not having spent $240 on one more bridge reference did not lead to my downfall on the vertical. :(

I felt good about the AM sessions on both the vertical and lateral. I feel like I failed to demonstate adequate knowledge on all four essay questions of the afternoon session of the vertical. I felt good about the essay portion of the lateral.

I have never taken the SE I, SE II or SE III so I cannot compare.

By far the most difficult thing for me was "time management" on the essays. I found that flailing through the first day essays helped a lot on the second day to be more prepared to respond to all essay content. I was not well prepared to demonstrate knowledge for the essays given the broad content and the very limited time given.

Anyone have advice for how to best demonstrate knowledge on the essays given the limited time?

For example, is an essay solution outline w/out calculations due to time constraints considered an acceptable format to demonstrate knowledge?

Is it expected that correctly calculated solutions to all essay questions be provided in order to pass?

Anyone who passed SE II or SE III have strategy tips for answering SE essays?

My essay tips would be:

1. Do not linger on any one item whether you know it well or not. Keep moving along at a very fast pace.

2. Read very carefully so no time is wasted pursuing something not asked.

3. Work problems in order? They all need to be answered, and a fast pace is needed to move through all. Going back forth the first day scewed up any sort of pace. Spending too much time "aceing" what I knew well came at the expense of failing to have time to demonstrate I know how to solve some of the other essay questions asked.

Did you guys get lot of questions based on AASHTO in both morning sessions?

I felt good about the AM sessions on both the vertical and lateral. I feel like I failed to demonstate adequate knowledge on all four essay questions of the afternoon session of the vertical. I felt good about the essay portion of the lateral.
I have never taken the SE I, SE II or SE III so I cannot compare.

By far the most difficult thing for me was "time management" on the essays. I found that flailing through the first day essays helped a lot on the second day to be more prepared to respond to all essay content. I was not well prepared to demonstrate knowledge for the essays given the broad content and the very limited time given.

Anyone have advice for how to best demonstrate knowledge on the essays given the limited time?

For example, is an essay solution outline w/out calculations due to time constraints considered an acceptable format to demonstrate knowledge?

Is it expected that correctly calculated solutions to all essay questions be provided in order to pass?

My essay tips would be:

1. Do not linger on any one item whether you know it well or not. Keep moving along at a very fast pace.

2. Read very carefully so no time is wasted pursuing something not asked.

3. Work problems in order? They all need to be answered, and a fast pace is needed to move through all. Going back forth the first day scewed up any sort of pace. Spending too much time "aceing" what I knew well came at the expense of failing to have time to demonstrate I know how to solve some of the other essay questions asked.

Practice makes perfect. Do all of the practice problems you can. When you run out of them, make your own up.

Practice makes perfect. Do all of the practice problems you can. When you run out of them, make your own up.
anybody here give me great tips for SE 2 days, I would appreciate. Form books to use, codes no of hours to study and even wht topics to focus on.

thanks

Back