CA Mechanical PE Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter

Reaction score
In California, is work experience to be approved to sit for the PE Exam not counted until after you have your EIT?

Also, is there a time limit to how long ago your relevant experience was?

Here is my situation:

BS Mechanical Engineering, 1992

1992-1995: Project Engineer, working under other PEs. This is relevant experience. (Never took the FE/EIT exam, as it was not really emphasized in this position...what a shame)

1995-1998: Application Engineer (technical sales...much better $)

1998-2001: Area Manager (better $ still)

2001-2011: Area Manager, different company... (and more $ still)

I went for the money...and never pursued my Engineering credentials. I am at a point where I really wished I had. It would have been so easy to do....

I want to purue my PE....I have 4 years experience for sure (ABET Engineering Degree)...but I am concerned the 3 years engineering experience I have will not be counted (towards approval to sit for the PE exam), for the following reasons:

1. It was 15 years ago!

2. The experience was not after obtaining my EIT.

Any info and guidance is appreciated.

In California, is work experience to be approved to sit for the PE Exam not counted until after you have your EIT?
Also, is there a time limit to how long ago your relevant experience was?

Here is my situation:

BS Mechanical Engineering, 1992

1992-1995: Project Engineer, working under other PEs. This is relevant experience. (Never took the FE/EIT exam, as it was not really emphasized in this position...what a shame)

1995-1998: Application Engineer (technical sales...much better $)

1998-2001: Area Manager (better $ still)

2001-2011: Area Manager, different company... (and more $ still)

I went for the money...and never pursued my Engineering credentials. I am at a point where I really wished I had. It would have been so easy to do....

I want to purue my PE....I have 4 years experience for sure (ABET Engineering Degree)...but I am concerned the 3 years engineering experience I have will not be counted (towards approval to sit for the PE exam), for the following reasons:

1. It was 15 years ago!

2. The experience was not after obtaining my EIT.

Any info and guidance is appreciated.
Your experience does not have to be after your EIT. As long as you meet the engineering time requirements at some point in your career you're fine. Several of my friends just took the EIT last year and got their PE applications approved for the April exam.

Agree with navyasw02....I think you're okay. I took my FE in April 2010 and PE (Mechanical) in October 2010. Still waiting on my license, but not aware of any experience related problems with my application.

I read that somewhere on the board site that you can actually do them on the same time. PE on friday and FE on Saturday. Well as long as you aren't taking the CA specific seismic & surevying exams.

Back