Luggage

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkn4569

Reaction score
I see that most people are bringing many books and reference materials with them to the test site. What did you use to carry all of your material to the testsite? Any advice?

I used a rolling suitcase. I actually had to fly to my testing site, so I was limited in how many books I could take. I left home a number of CFR's, and as luck would have it, the ones I left home were the only ones I needed (probably could have found the answers in the right textbook, though). But I think the suitcase would have been large enough for all the books I would have wanted.

I used plalstic milk crates on a folding cart (found in the luggage section of Walmart).

I used a NEW hockey equipment bag (if you have ever had the experience of being around used hockey equipment you'll understand the emphasis on new) with a metal spine and wheels on one end.

A guy I used to work with was getting into hockey and joined a rec league. Being the goalie, he needed a lot of equipment. Being back in school meaning he had little spare money. He got a bunch of used stuff of Ebay and wow did it smell ripe.

I used two milk crates. I just carried them, but in hindsight I'd recommend getting a luggage cart. The milk crates were nice because we had to keep our unused references on the floor. The milk crates allowed me easy access to all my references rather then having to root around in a suitcase to find the ones I wanted.

I also used one of those wheel-equipped folding milk crate dollies. As an EE, I didn't need any extra containers though. I brought about, 10-12 books or so, and didn't use all of them. Seems like there were other disciplines that came prepared for war though. 3 large plastic storage containers full of books on a dolly... that kind of thing. Lots of rolling suitcases.

I also brought a towel (to sit on if necessary), thermos full of coffee (had to take my coffee breaks), a few power bars, and some gum. Do not bring pencils or erasers in to the room, they will collect them and give them back to you after the exam is over (oops).

I used this, with an additional milk crate that fit on top:

I got both at OfficeMax for under $50.

I used a couple of milk crates; one was 1.5 times the size of a regular crate; then a regular crate. I didn't have a folding dolly, so I used a regular equipment dolly that I did have. Worked well. Several other people at my test site asked to borrow the dolly to move their cardboard legal boxes full of books back up to their vehicles. A few utilized rolling suitcases. I do not recommend milk crates without someway to tie them in & keep them covered! Most of my books have some markings now from getting snowed on while I walked the 1/4 mile back to the parking lot...

Basically, use what works for you & you have around. Not work spending the extra $$$ to have a way to haul it around if you've already got an enclosed system.

Back