Surveys: Taking the exam again...for the 4th time!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eefeezy

Reaction score
As frustrating as it sounds, I will need to take Surveys again this April 2011 to finally get my CA PE Civil license.

First time - Attempted all 3, failed all 3 (I took all 3 review classes and spread them out for a year before taking the exam)

Second time - Attempted Seimic/Surveys, Passed Seismic Only

Third time - Attempted 8-hour/Surveys, Passed 8-hour Only

I've used Reza's material, Chelapati's 3rd Edition, Surveying Principles for CE, and the 120 solved surveying problems. I'll admit, I probably didn't put in a lot of effort when studying for the other exams, but I felt I at least took the time to go through everything in all the materials listed. Are there any references out there and sample exams I can use to help me finally pass this exam. Tips will also help.

Thanks in advance

I feel your pain, I am still there. My big goal is to now see about speeding up my problem solving and looking for key words to disregard or look for.

As frustrating as it sounds, I will need to take Surveys again this April 2011 to finally get my CA PE Civil license.
First time - Attempted all 3, failed all 3 (I took all 3 review classes and spread them out for a year before taking the exam)

Second time - Attempted Seimic/Surveys, Passed Seismic Only

Third time - Attempted 8-hour/Surveys, Passed 8-hour Only

I've used Reza's material, Chelapati's 3rd Edition, Surveying Principles for CE, and the 120 solved surveying problems. I'll admit, I probably didn't put in a lot of effort when studying for the other exams, but I felt I at least took the time to go through everything in all the materials listed. Are there any references out there and sample exams I can use to help me finally pass this exam. Tips will also help.

Thanks in advance
I'm also taking this exam for the 4th time this April. I passed Seismic in the first attempt and failed other 2. They cancelled civil and survey exam with calculator issue in the second time, I passed civil but failed survey in the thirdt time.

I applied for the first exam because I was in CA that time; unfurtunately, I had to move to East coast beofre the exam. I'm traveling back to CA for each exam since then.

I have mansour's, Chelapati's ( which I feel irrelevant to CA exam), Reza's, Coumo's and 120 solved problems. I just ordered Mansours 20 hrs DVD seminar.

I envy you guys passing Seismic so quickly. I passed Survey on my first attempt but I think I'll probably end up taking 4 attempts for Seismic.

It's great to hear that I'm not alone. I'm sure we will eventually pass it.

@cowboy - How's mansour's reference manual compared to Reza's. I'm thinking of buying the reference material, practice problems, and sample exam. Your input is greatly appreciated.

@ptatohed - You will eventually pass, hopefully this April. Not sure if you used Hiner, but his materials worked for me. The trick is to go over his handbook (every page) at least twice. and like what @humer said, speed is the key.

It's great to hear that I'm not alone. I'm sure we will eventually pass it.
@cowboy - How's mansour's reference manual compared to Reza's. I'm thinking of buying the reference material, practice problems, and sample exam. Your input is greatly appreciated.

@ptatohed - You will eventually pass, hopefully this April. Not sure if you used Hiner, but his materials worked for me. The trick is to go over his handbook (every page) at least twice. and like what @humer said, speed is the key.
I like Reza's. It has lots of practice problems which are relevant to the Exam. If you are taking surveying only, I would recommed you to look at both.

Honestly at this point I would try something radical to mix things up... Maybe writing up a couple of your own problems?

Also make sure to look at the problem and see if shortcuts exist. I found when taking the test that there was usually a faster method to be had which could get me the answer.

I am in the same boat and going to adjust my study subject a bit different. My plan was to skip the difficult problems so that I could have time to get through the test and it worked, I skipped 7 problems that looked long and got marginal on the calculation section, for me that is fine. I did get through the whole teest and had about 15 mins to go back and look at some other problems. The problem I has was getting a difficient on the 41% part called office ______. So I am not worring about the calcs this time, will do more problems but I have all the listed references and doing alot of reading and taking notes on that last section, I believe that if you dont get at least marginal on that section you will need to be proficient in all the others.

I am in the same boat and going to adjust my study subject a bit different. My plan was to skip the difficult problems so that I could have time to get through the test and it worked, I skipped 7 problems that looked long and got marginal on the calculation section, for me that is fine. I did get through the whole teest and had about 15 mins to go back and look at some other problems. The problem I has was getting a difficient on the 41% part called office ______. So I am not worring about the calcs this time, will do more problems but I have all the listed references and doing alot of reading and taking notes on that last section, I believe that if you dont get at least marginal on that section you will need to be proficient in all the others.
Have you looked at Chelapati and Mansour?

Have you looked at Chelapati and Mansour?

I have every book and alot of stuff off the web, its a matter of getting through the problems fast and accurate enough to pass. I had said before if the test allowed 30 more minutes 90% would pass. I am trying to get enough knowledge to go fast and accurate. How the small percentage that pass do it is obviously a mistery to me.

Back