Glass Half Full

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSerg

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: I still don't have my results of state-specific (I'm a Florida P.E. and just needed the two state exams for California P.E.) but this post is for everyone who has a partial victory. If you don't mind sharing, post which ones you passed , which one you failed ( and diagnostic info) and how you plan to go about it differently.

Does anyone know if the diagnostic reports are up on the board website? As I mentioned on other posts, I don't feel so hot about the Special Surveying since I've only worked in Structural (both here in Florida and the work I've been doing for a California-based firm). I still don't get that requirement for surveying but anywho...

DISCLAIMER: I still don't have my results of state-specific (I'm a Florida P.E. and just needed the two state exams for California P.E.) but this post is for everyone who has a partial victory. If you don't mind sharing, post which ones you passed , which one you failed ( and diagnostic info) and how you plan to go about it differently.
Does anyone know if the diagnostic reports are up on the board website? As I mentioned on other posts, I don't feel so hot about the Special Surveying since I've only worked in Structural (both here in Florida and the work I've been doing for a California-based firm). I still don't get that requirement for surveying but anywho...
What are you saying? What is the two state thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
We should wait for our state results. They should be arriving in the mail 01-10 or 01-11. (I'm pretty sure I nailed Surveying and I know I bombed Seismic though).

I got my results Saturday and passed civil/structural and passed surveying, unfortunately I failed seismic. I left the test knowing I passed the surveying and wasn't too sure about seismic but I felt the worst about the structural portion, the civil AM wasn't too bad but the afternoon just seemed way way harder. I was kind of bummed that I didn't pass seismic especially since I spent a decent amount of time studying for it and spending my weekends in the Hiner class (I am kind of wondering if I should pay for the webinar this time around just to force me to study, I was very happy with the class even though I didn't pass). I was excited that I passed the 8hr though because I was not looking forward to studying for that a second time. Good luck to everyone that should be getting their results today.

We should wait for our state results. They should be arriving in the mail 01-10 or 01-11. (I'm pretty sure I nailed Surveying and I know I bombed Seismic though).
If our worst case prophecies are true, I'd be glad to help you study Seismic, and we can "trade" by you tutoring me with surveying?

I got my results Saturday and passed civil/structural and passed surveying, unfortunately I failed seismic. I left the test knowing I passed the surveying and wasn't too sure about seismic but I felt the worst about the structural portion, the civil AM wasn't too bad but the afternoon just seemed way way harder. I was kind of bummed that I didn't pass seismic especially since I spent a decent amount of time studying for it and spending my weekends in the Hiner class (I am kind of wondering if I should pay for the webinar this time around just to force me to study, I was very happy with the class even though I didn't pass). I was excited that I passed the 8hr though because I was not looking forward to studying for that a second time. Good luck to everyone that should be getting their results today.
I still haven't gotten results but I studied Seismic using the Hiner book, PPI's book and Passing Zone. My company also had an in-house study guide. I was lacking those resources for surveying.

What did you use to study Surveying? Did you have experience in that line of work?

I still haven't gotten results but I studied Seismic using the Hiner book, PPI's book and Passing Zone. My company also had an in-house study guide. I was lacking those resources for surveying.

What did you use to study Surveying? Did you have experience in that line of work?
Also, did California include a diagnostic report for their state specific exams?

As expected, I passed Seismic and Have to retake Surveying. I guess it's good I had a solid gut feeling.

To those who passed Surveying, I appreciate any advice as far as study materials, etc. Prior to preparing for this test, the last time I used surveying was in CEN102 freshman year in school.

Thanks again!

As expected, I passed Seismic and Have to retake Surveying. I guess it's good I had a solid gut feeling.
To those who passed Surveying, I appreciate any advice as far as study materials, etc. Prior to preparing for this test, the last time I used surveying was in CEN102 freshman year in school.

Thanks again!

Same here got the CA Eng Surveying results today...failed!! Passed the 8 hour and seismic the first time but surveying is the last and toughest for me. Any advice from those who passed this exam is greatly appreciated.

Just got home and got my diagnostic:

Eng. Surveying Eqpt & Field Activity - 15% of test - Marginal

Eng. Surveying Field Measurements - 11% of test - Proficient :)

Eng. Surveying Calculations - 33% of test - Deficient

Eng. Surveying Ofc. Procedures - 41% of test - Deficient

Is Marginal worse than Deficient? Although I suppose being proficient in only one area is not good..

Like the great Sean Carter says, "On to the Next One"..October Jo!

me too!!!!!!!!

took all 3 for the first time in october and passed 8hr and seismic failed surveying ---sucks cause I didn't think it was hard, just was running short on time....I was pretty certain of it anyway.

Thanks again!

Same here got the CA Eng Surveying results today...failed!! Passed the 8 hour and seismic the first time but surveying is the last and toughest for me. Any advice from those who passed this exam is greatly appreciated.

me too!!!!!!!!

took all 3 for the first time in october and passed 8hr and seismic failed surveying ---sucks cause I didn't think it was hard, just was running short on time....I was pretty certain of it anyway.

Thanks again!

Wondering whether to take a surveying course at the community college, self study (Reza?) or do the Irvine Institute online courses...for sure going to wait until October though..

In Southern California here, no seismic or survey results yet, hopefully tomorrow. For you guys who recieved, did they tell you the cut score for seismic?

In Southern California here, no seismic or survey results yet, hopefully tomorrow. For you guys who recieved, did they tell you the cut score for seismic?
No Fouggesh..'Pass' on Seismic and the Diagnostic for Surveying is a little vague. I have a question up for Ric Wilson (gentleman from the board)

I don't have much surveying experience, I did work in construction for a year and learned to shoot grades but most of the time I was the rod man. In college I never had a surveying class so I thought it was a good idea to take the class with Reza. He moves a little fast in the lecture but the example problems in the book were very helpful. I left the test knowing I passed surveying because I was not surprised by a single question and had time to finish all of them and go back to do the problems that I skipped. I only studied Reza's book but I did every single problem except the ones in the last 2 chapters (I ran out of study time). The repetition helped speed me up and that allowed me to spend extra time on problems that I had skipped the first time through.

I don't have much surveying experience, I did work in construction for a year and learned to shoot grades but most of the time I was the rod man. In college I never had a surveying class so I thought it was a good idea to take the class with Reza. He moves a little fast in the lecture but the example problems in the book were very helpful. I left the test knowing I passed surveying because I was not surprised by a single question and had time to finish all of them and go back to do the problems that I skipped. I only studied Reza's book but I did every single problem except the ones in the last 2 chapters (I ran out of study time). The repetition helped speed me up and that allowed me to spend extra time on problems that I had skipped the first time through.
Thanks for the information..Reza seems to be the popular one here. I'm placing the order tomorrow.

If our worst case prophecies are true, I'd be glad to help you study Seismic, and we can "trade" by you tutoring me with surveying?

Serg, I would love to trade you skills.

My gut feelings were right - passed Survey, bombed Seismic. I find Survey to come to me so easily and Seismic is so foreign to me!

I wish we lived closer. Anyway, always feel free to ask me any Survey questions.

Back