license in a different state

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mousepad

Reaction score
I recently passed the PE exam, I work in a different state in which I passed. It will be another 2 years before I can transfer my license to the state I work in. Am I still considered a PE? Can I still be billed as a PE in the state I work in? We do mostly government work.

you can not stamp or represent yourself as a PE in your home state. You are only a PE in the other state, so if your company has work in that state then you can can stamp that stuff only.

Misrepresenting yourseolf could lead tosome serioud trouble like getting your license revoked in the other state and not being allowed to get one in your home state

you can not stamp or represent yourself as a PE in your home state. You are only a PE in the other state, so if your company has work in that state then you can can stamp that stuff only.
Misrepresenting yourseolf could lead tosome serioud trouble like getting your license revoked in the other state and not being allowed to get one in your home state
You definitely cannot stamp drawings for a project not in your state of licensure. However, you are still able to put "PE" in your signature without recourse (you are, afterall, a professional engineer).

I would also make sure of the billing rules, I don't yet know if the company is allowed to bill you out at a PE rate if you are on a project in a state other than the state you hold a license in. I'll be looking into this part as well to make sure I am not put in any unethical situations.

I don't think the advice above is correct! You can only sign your name as a PE in the state in which you are registered. If youi are registered in Ohio and live/work in Idaho, you cannot sign or have in your signature block PE after your name if indeed you live/work in Idaho. To do so is to purport to be "practicing engineering" in a state in which you are NOT licensed. Be careful here, you can get bit and bit hard on this one.

You can, I believe sign your name, "Joe Blow, PE (licensed in Ohio)" and be OK. Here is where a good understanding of the state rules comes into play. I am licensed in more than one state and have carefully read the rules of each respective state. The state rules clearly specify that if you are not licensed in the state, you cannot use PE after your name if indeed you are not licensed in the state. Read the minutes of the last state board meetings if you have doubt. My review of several state board meetings is that many engineers get caught in this trap and end up being fined up to $5000 for advertising their services in a state in which they are not licensed. This matter is normally addressed in the disciplinary actions part of the board minutes. Again, if in doubt, call the state board and ask for clarification. However, I believe that I am 99.99999% correct on this interpretation of code.

I don't think the advice above is correct! You can only sign your name as a PE in the state in which you are registered. If youi are registered in Ohio and live/work in Idaho, you cannot sign or have in your signature block PE after your name if indeed you live/work in Idaho. To do so is to purport to be "practicing engineering" in a state in which you are NOT licensed. Be careful here, you can get bit and bit hard on this one.
You can, I believe sign your name, "Joe Blow, PE (licensed in Ohio)" and be OK. Here is where a good understanding of the state rules comes into play. I am licensed in more than one state and have carefully read the rules of each respective state. The state rules clearly specify that if you are not licensed in the state, you cannot use PE after your name if indeed you are not licensed in the state. Read the minutes of the last state board meetings if you have doubt. My review of several state board meetings is that many engineers get caught in this trap and end up being fined up to $5000 for advertising their services in a state in which they are not licensed. This matter is normally addressed in the disciplinary actions part of the board minutes. Again, if in doubt, call the state board and ask for clarification. However, I believe that I am 99.99999% correct on this interpretation of code.
Thanks for that advice, I will definitely look into the code tomorrow. Just to be on the safeside, as you recommended, I will be sure to indicate which state I am licensed in in my signature block.

I lived in NY and took my PE in CA (and I passed). I work for the gov't agency in NY and we have the contract out with CA. Can I sign for the contract documents in NY for the contract in CA? Or I have to wait for the NY PE license?

If my story is ok that I believed every PE is treat equally in the US.

One information, if you don't know yet. The Oct, 2010 PE exam need to register in the NCEES for ALL US STATES. In before that we DO NOT NEED TO DO THAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
See document from Texashttp://www.tbpe.state.tx.us/nm/pa10_responseletter.pdf

Basically you can use PE after your name no matter which state you are licensed in, however there is a particular format you must follow. Refer to the letter for the proper format.
That example works for Texas and although I can't see any other board taking real exception to it, it is still the right of each state to adopt their specific regulations.

The requirement of specifcally writing (not licensed in State X) seems rather burdonsome to me. John Doe, P.E. (MA, NY, VT, 4 others) seems clear to me. anyone with common sense will ask whether or not the individual is licensed in a particular state. my :2cents:

Basically you can use PE after your name no matter which state you are licensed in, however there is a particular format you must follow. Refer to the letter for the proper format.
That example works for Texas and although I can't see any other board taking real exception to it, it is still the right of each state to adopt their specific regulations.

The requirement of specifcally writing (not licensed in State X) seems rather burdonsome to me. John Doe, P.E. (MA, NY, VT, 4 others) seems clear to me. anyone with common sense will ask whether or not the individual is licensed in a particular state. my :2cents:
I agree with you.

Uh, I'm not sure exactly how it works, but government work produced for the Corps of Engineers doesn't necessarily have to bear the stamp of the state in which the project is located. I know that I stamped drawings for a building on an AFB in Texas with my Kentucky seal. As long as the design meets all applicable local codes for where the building will be, it doesn't matter where you are licensed. Again, this is only for USACE projects. If you are working for a government contractor, a military base directly, or another private entity, your designs have to bear the seal of the state where the project is to be built.

So a person would need to put in parentheses the state(s) (s)he is licensed in after PE on his/her business card and/or resume so as not to be fined thousands of dollars? Seems like a pain in the butt...but sort of makes sense too...especially if you are civil, and are not licensed in CA.

I agree with you.

I think the assumption is that if you list a Texas address, you are licensed in Texas. Many of my colleagues in my NY office live in NJ and a few in CT. Of these 99% have NY licenses only.

I agree with you.

I think the assumption is that if you list a Texas address, you are licensed in Texas. Many of my colleagues in my NY office live in NJ and a few in CT. Of these 99% have NY licenses only.

Back