Passing structural 1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAPSU

Reaction score
Did anyone take the structural 1 exam and pass? What were your thoughts after the test? I took it in October and I'm still waiting on results. I failed last April, and I had thought I had done really well for that one, so now I'm really worried about October's test since I thought it was a bit more difficult.

I took the structural 1 but I am also still waiting on results. It was my first time taking it in October so I have nothing to compare. I do know there were more bridge questions then I hoped! I hope we both passed!!

I passed this time around in Georgia, after failing it the first time in April. To be honest, I really didn't study enough the first time around. I studied quite a bit for the October exam, and I felt much more prepared after taking it, but still didn't think I'd done enough to pass.

I felt pretty good after the exam in April, but based on my diagnostic I did pretty poorly. I felt very bad after the morning session in October - I still had about 13 problems to go with 15 minutes left, and ended up guessing at 7 or 8 - but felt very good about the afternoon session, which I basically finished. (Interestingly, I was the only one of 4 other people I knew taking the test that day who thought the afternoon was easier than the AM). Just got my results this morning, and was pretty surprised to have passed tbh.

Good Luck! Hope you passed!

I passed this time around in Georgia, after failing it the first time in April. To be honest, I really didn't study enough the first time around. I studied quite a bit for the October exam, and I felt much more prepared after taking it, but still didn't think I'd done enough to pass.
I felt pretty good after the exam in April, but based on my diagnostic I did pretty poorly. I felt very bad after the morning session in October - I still had about 13 problems to go with 15 minutes left, and ended up guessing at 7 or 8 - but felt very good about the afternoon session, which I basically finished. (Interestingly, I was the only one of 4 other people I knew taking the test that day who thought the afternoon was easier than the AM). Just got my results this morning, and was pretty surprised to have passed tbh.

I had the same feeling as you did right after the test..I had to guess about 8 questions but I finished afternoon on time. I was hoping that i would pass however I failed with 53/80... I think the stress level at the beginning of the test caused me to fail the test...I also took in GA.

Well Life Goes On:)

Hei Bance

i think if you had taken civil test

you would have pass with a 53 correct answers

i mean 62% pass civil

but only 43% pass struct I

its a learner bell curve?

I had the same feeling as you did right after the test..I had to guess about 8 questions but I finished afternoon on time. I was hoping that i would pass however I failed with 53/80... I think the stress level at the beginning of the test caused me to fail the test...I also took in GA.

Well Life Goes On:)

Hei Bance
i think if you had taken civil test

you would have pass with a 53 correct answers

i mean 62% pass civil

but only 43% pass struct I

its a learner bell curve?
Where did you get these numbers? I'm hopeing that you're correct, but believing that you are speculating. I failed the civil/structural in April with 59.9%.

I passed the Structural I October exam. It was my first time taking it and the fact that I would have to retake a 16 hour exam was enough for me to spend a couple months studying. I'm usually really bad about studying in advance for stuff!

I also thought the morning session was more difficult that the afternoon. In the morning, I would skip over the problems that I wasn't sure about and move on to the next. By the time I got to the end I had skipped 10 problems, but thankfully I still had about 45 mins to an hour to finish those problems up. The afternoon I went through rather easily and I only had to go back to 4 problems, 2 of which I skipped because I could tell they were very calculation intensive.

By the end I left feeling 50/50 as to whether I passed or failed.

Congrats to all of you who passed! And to those who didn't I'm sure you will all get it this next time!

On a side note, those who didn't pass this Oct Struct I exam, are you planning on taking the 16 hour structural exam or just the civil/struct exam?

I took the SE 1 exam for the first time this fall and unfortunately did not pass (51/80). The biggest area I struggled in was the Lateral Force distribution. I studied quite a bit on my own and felt relatively good after the exam but started to feel worse as time passed. I was wondering if anyone else that did not pass would be willing to share their score. It appears 53 is the highest score so far that did not pass.

I am leaning towards attempting the 16 hr exam because of states like IL and CA. I'm thinking Vertical this spring and Lateral in the Fall.

Has anyone used School of PE for structural, I would be interested on your take if you have?

I took the SE 1 exam for the first time this fall and unfortunately did not pass (51/80). The biggest area I struggled in was the Lateral Force distribution. I studied quite a bit on my own and felt relatively good after the exam but started to feel worse as time passed. I was wondering if anyone else that did not pass would be willing to share their score. It appears 53 is the highest score so far that did not pass.
I am leaning towards attempting the 16 hr exam because of states like IL and CA. I'm thinking Vertical this spring and Lateral in the Fall.

Has anyone used School of PE for structural, I would be interested on your take if you have?

So sorry to hear of your loss, but I think in order to take the 16 hr Str exam, you must hold a civil PE. Please read Q10: http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/se_faqs_12_08_10.pdf

School of PE for structural is a combination of your references plus $1200. I would say you know better than them since you had the real test in your hand for 8 hrs which they didn't.

by the way I am a sr. structural engineer and I took this exam 5 times with no luck, and I am still waiting on the result, so please take it easy. Its not the end of the word. I know its not easy, but believe me not with this test. You will make it because you can make it. You were be able to be an engineer after almost 16 years of education, so I am sure that you will be a PE after 8/16 hrs.

Good luck my friend. I had your feeling 5 times!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

kb15,

Don't worry! It was my first time as well and I think I was very close. I will not give up.I am thinking to take both Vertical and Lateral in April.

I think you should do the same..

BTW, I took the School of PE classes and It was not very helpful for me. One of the instructor who taught the majority of the subjects was the worst instructor i have had in my life.

Good luck!

I just got my results and failed the structural 1 test for the second time by 2 questions.......I dont know what more I can do! I took the School of PE review class and felt more than confident when leaving the exam. I felt that there was no possible way I could have failed that exam. I dont understand it......

I just got my results and failed the structural 1 test for the second time by 2 questions.......I dont know what more I can do! I took the School of PE review class and felt more than confident when leaving the exam. I felt that there was no possible way I could have failed that exam. I dont understand it......
FAILED AS WELL :-( CAN I ASK WHAT IS YOUR SCORE? MINE 52/80

I failed again, and I wasn't all that surprised. I left feeling like it could easily have gone either way. I had a huge problem with trusting my answers this past fall. Last April I left the test thinking I aced it, and although according to my diagnostic report I did score well for most subjects (including 3 subjects I got 100% correct in), I still failed. So this fall I kept second quessing my answers, which I think in the end resulted in yet another fail.

I'm trying out the civil-structural this April, and I'm signing up for a review course this time around. I'm hoping with a change of test I can get through my issues with trusting my answers! I am sooooo ready to pass this thing!

"F" STR 1 (6 TIMES) :Failed:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found out I failed the structural 1 exam. I'm not sure what to do as I can't just take this test again. Anyone in the same position... do you have any thoughts on taking the SE exam (16 hours, $1000) vs. taking the Civil PE with a structural afternoon? I don't know a **** thing about Civil Engineering anymore....

Help?!

I am in the same boat.....I am wondering if I should dispute the score at 53/80 beacuse the way that it sounds the cut was 54/80. With the hefty price tag of $1000 and a two day exam it might be worth it. I would like to take civil myself but dont know much about it and not sure if it will be easier for me

I just found out I failed the structural 1 exam. I'm not sure what to do as I can't just take this test again. Anyone in the same position... do you have any thoughts on taking the SE exam (16 hours, $1000) vs. taking the Civil PE with a structural afternoon? I don't know a **** thing about Civil Engineering anymore....
Help?!

I failed too (6 times), and I think in order to take the new 16 hr STR exam you must hold a Civil PE. I will take civil with STR depth, since I don have any other option. I regretted that I didn't take Civil before, I would be a PE by now. Good luck and take it easy

I am in the same boat.....I am wondering if I should dispute the score at 53/80 beacuse the way that it sounds the cut was 54/80. With the hefty price tag of $1000 and a two day exam it might be worth it. I would like to take civil myself but dont know much about it and not sure if it will be easier for me

Even if they did something wrong in your result, do you think that NCEES will open this door!!!!!!!!!!. I did it before when I had 69 in the FE, and my result has not been changed.

Can you post the link where it says you need to hold a Civil PE to take the 16 hr. exam? Is this for certain states?

Back