State of board for International Engineerins

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaled_eid

Reaction score
Dear All does any one knows which state of board accper Engineers from outside USA

Indiana has provisions for accepting applicants with degrees from international universitys, but you still need the experience and the references. I imagine the references will be the hardest for an international applicant to get. I think you need five Indiana PE's. I never looked into it, but I remember a link on their website.

Dear All does any one knows which state of board accper Engineers from outside USA

Khalid,

What are you trying to do? Basically any state would accept proven engineering experience from any country along with required appropriate references. NYS requires three references (not necessarily PEs)

Khalid,

What are you trying to do? Basically any state would accept proven engineering experience from any country along with required appropriate references. NYS requires three references (not necessarily PEs)
Are these references should be resident in USA or may be in anywhere , I contacted the American university in Cairo and the said we can contact Washington, Florida and Oregon . They did not mention that we need a PE reference seems each state have there Owen rules

Yes, each state is different. They all have their own procedures and requirements, and they used to have different tests. Most use the NCEES test now I think. Fortunately they also have websites that are fairly easy to navigate. Good luck.

Washington required 1 Washington PE to sponsor you and 2 other PE references (didn't have to be Washington) and 2 professional references. (5 total)

Khalid,

Are these references should be resident in USA or may be in anywhere , I contacted the American university in Cairo and the said we can contact Washington, Florida and Oregon . They did not mention that we need a PE reference seems each state have there Owen rules

I happened to have combined experience from overseas and the states, it was acceptable by NY State with three refences, one of them was not a licensed professional!

Khalid,

I would not recommend Florida. I know a few guys with foreign engineering degrees who either had great difficulty or were unable to sit for the exam in Florida without having to take additional college courses. One guy in particular even had a Master's from Penn State in Civil Engineering (foreign undergrad) and couldn't sit for the FE exam in FL until he took the courses. They weren't even engineering courses (humanities/gen ed stuff).

I had a masters degree from an acredited university in Europe. However, since the university itself is not acredited by ABET in US, the board did not recognize my masters and did not credit me one year experience for it. In addition, because the university was not acredited, I had to demonstrate six years of experience before I was able to sit for the exam compared to a graduate from an ABET acredited university, who requires only four years of experience according to our board.

Send your degree to a preferred evaluator by your board or NCEES. Call your board and find out who is the preferred instituiton and what kind of evaluation they need (Credit by credit, subject by subject, ....)

With regards to experience, as long as you could contact your previous employers and they can fill out your boards paper work and send it to your board, your board will accept it. Infact I had to hire a translator to explain the board's form to my previous employer and then help them fill out the form. Once they filled it out, the engineer under whom you worked could sign it and send it to "DIRECTLY" to your board. If that engineer is not available, your past employer could explain in the form who is signing the form and why the engineer under whom you worked could not sign it.

Good luck.......

From this I understand that the refence should not be PE which will make sense I can contact my previous employer and ask him to fill up the documents

khaled,

California is one of the most suitable states for foreigners to obtain their PE license.

I know people whose references, all of them, were from someother country therefore they were not PE licensed.

Also, as far as I understand, CA board takes into account your NON US experience. (please confirm this).

In my case, I got a NON US BS but a US MS, based on this, CA only requires 1 year of working experience.

Before going to CA, I called other states (e.g NY, PA, VA), and due to my situation, I remember one them told I need to get 8 years of working experience in USA and them sit for the exam. That was ridiculous.

Also I remember TEXAS is suitable for international people too. If am not wrong TX requires 2 years working experience in US, I am not sure about the abroad experience.

it depends on which state you are applying, NY didn't required a PE engineer as a reference, but required a min 2 years engineering experince in the USA . but also accept outside experince as well.

Back